Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Snotty nosed pigs  (Read 5513 times)

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
Snotty nosed pigs
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:48:25 am »
Hi, when I went to feed my kunes this morning they both had very snotty snouts.  It was a clear, whiteish sort of colour.  I am very worried about my piggies now, could someone please tell me what it could be?  I am a very novice pig owner, so any advice will be very gratefully received, thanks  :)
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Snotty nosed pigs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:12:37 am »
They've probably just got a cold, maybe even caught it off you ;D  Pigs are very suseptable to human lurgies. Check their temperatures to be sure its nothing more, make sure they are warm (feel in their armpits to check) and so long as they are eating and doing all the things pigs do they'll be fine in a couple of days. We have an old geriatric pig who is continually snotty thro winter and he gets 10ml of calpol, which seems to help and the vet thinks is incredibly funny ;D
also could be an allergy, have you changed straw or anything in their environment?
If it is snuffling it can be something called Atrophic Rhinitis, symptoms include sneezing, runny eyes, discharges from the nose sometimes containing blood and early signs of distortion of the face, with shortening or twisting of the upper jaw becoming evident at weaning time. It is important also to appreciate that sneezing is a common occurrence in the sucking pig and need not necessarily be associated with it. Caused by pasturella bacteria. Will normally clear up itself but can  be treated with antibiotics if persistant.
HTH
mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:13:07 pm »
Ditto Mandy  :thumbsup:

Probably just a cold, but check their bedding to make sure it's dry - don't just look, actually go in and feel it (kneel on it and you'll know instantly if it's wet  ;))
As long as they're not running a high temp and seem well in themselves (eating, drinking, pooing normally) they should be fine. We tend to try and up the fruit containing vitamin C for our Kunes in the winter to stave off snuffles (and the permanent residents get a clove or two of garlic now and again), but I'd never heard of Calpol being used Mandy  :idea: Great tip  :thumbsup:

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
I have just cut n paste the information into my pig file thanks Mandy.

Possible the best list of symptoms and 'what to expect' that I have read.

We are very new to piggies and this site has really good advice :thumbsup:

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:15:37 pm »
Thanks guys, I think that possibly their bedding is damp - not surprising with this constant rain and muddy piggies tramping in and out!  I will give their arc a good clean out and give them some new straw tonight.  They were still very keen on their brekkie this morning and I bought lots of veggies / fruit for them yesterday.

HH - how do you give them the garlic - do they just eat the cloves or do you mash it up and mix it with their pig nuts?

1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:38:14 pm »
HH - how do you give them the garlic - do they just eat the cloves or do you mash it up and mix it with their pig nuts?
Inside half a banana  ;) I've tried to get them to eat it 'straight' but they're not keen  ::) :D

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:38:34 pm »
Inside half a banana  ;) I've tried to get them to eat it 'straight' but they're not keen  ::) :D

Cunning! I like it  ;D Thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS