Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fencing  (Read 3147 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
fencing
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:14:19 pm »
hi everyone!  :wave:

Saturday is getting closer so i have had two days off this week to sort out the land i have for the little piggies to go on when i get them i have the straw and sleeping arrangements sorted for them now on to the fencing.

as the land i a fair size i have only managed to prepare nearly half of it at the moment as i do not have much time due to the dark nights and was thinking would it be ok if i only put some temp fencing up around the area i have cleaned and sorted and make the area bigger as they grow or would that not be advised as i dont want to lose them in some of the buses that have not been cleaned up also would normal stock fencing be ok or would there be other alternatives out there would chicken wire do the job for now please bear in mind these are micro pigs and hopefully wont grow too big as i have seen the parents and grandparents someone also suggested using old roofing sheets or wooden pallets for now until all the land is done and i can put proper fencing in at the same time

sorry again if some of the points seem pointless :pig:

gavin

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: fencing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:21:57 pm »
Don't want to be the barer of bad news but there is no such thing as a micro pig.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:25:25 pm »
Don't want to be the barer of bad news but there is no such thing as a micro pig.

I suspect you'll be purchasing KuneKunes ..... and just like any other pig they can be first class escape artists!  :innocent:
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:41:26 pm »
thanks for the reply i understand the situation between kune kune pigs micro pigs and the debate etc what i meant to say was i know these pigs are going to be smaller than your average pigs even if they are kune kune  it was more a posting on the fencing that i was interested in

many thanks

gavin

acrown64

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:08 pm »
Hi Gavin,

When mine were weaners, i used chicken wire to first keep them in, which then had to be strengthened with wooden pallets as well as they would push the bottom of the chick wire when rooting about. Once they were bigger I got them used to an electric fence and havnt looked back. Its easy to put up, and is adjustable for the different sizes as they grow. It was great for us as we were able to move the fence every so often and give them new ground to dig about in.
Once they get a wee shock the first couple of times they know not to go near it. The are very intelligent animals and are great at finding holes and getting out but the electric fence has been fantastic for us.
Would highly recommend investing in one!
Good Luck!

Oh and if you are i suggest buying the white nylon tape with the wire strands. They see it better than the single wire or the green tape!!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:19:41 pm »
Electric fence is good but they've got to be trained to respect it. As far as size goes, a little pig can get through a smaller hole than a big pig, and youngsters are much more inquisitive than adults so will be much more interested in escaping.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:42:42 pm »
You get stock fencing that has smaller spaces at the bottom, that graduate up to big ones at the top (hope I've explained that right  ???) This should be fine for your little pigs, it keeps our Kunekunes in from a week old  :thumbsup: You might want to think about putting something on and below your gate though - it's a potential escape route  ;)

We run a strand of barbed wire around the bottom of the fence (attach it to your stock fencing or they'll try and squeeze through the gap) but electric would work too  :thumbsup:
To train the pig to the fence you can either;
1) Hold the piglet and touch it's nose to the wire (you'll get a shock too though  ;)) or,
2) Make a small run of about 6ft x 6ft it will be ample for the first couple of days til they get the hang of it. Make it with solid sides (old pallets', doors, corrugated tin - it's only temporary) line the inside with electric tape around 6 inches up from the ground (maybe lower if your pigs are teeny tiny) and leave them to it, they'll get the idea really quick and should remember and respect the fence from then on.
HTH
Karen

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:36:52 pm »
Thanks for all the reply very helpfull indeed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS