Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags  (Read 16568 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Ear tags
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 08:14:21 pm »
Thanks Dixie, I'd be very interested to know how you get on and whether it is easily visible.  Photo's would be good too if possible - thank you!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 07:49:48 am »
ooops sorry MM didnt mean to jump on the topic...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 01:43:32 pm »
How long does a slap mark last for?  If a 9 week old weaner was slapmarked would it still be visible by slaughter.  Also is the green tattoo paste definitely visible on black skin?  I wish we had said no to the breeder when she tagged them!  You live and learn!

The green tattoo paste is visible on black skin, but it doesn't stay as visible for as long. We used to use green tattoo paste on the goats, and the nubians sometimes have black skin (depends on what colour they are). The tattoo paste worked, but after 4 years or so it got really hard to see. I had one until she was to, and I think the last couple of years her ear tattoo wasn't readable.

You can get white tattoo paste though apparantly.

Beth

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 07:40:05 pm »
OK I think we will leave the tags in, but in future slap mark!  Don't be silly Hilary's Mum!  I've never heard of electronic tagging for pigs - sounds expensive though!  And also its still tagging and likely to get pulled about.

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 07:43:02 pm »
I've used those plastic discs but the grass gets caught around them or they fall out or their ears bleed. I asked the abbatoir what they preferred and they said it would be all right if I didn't tag them. So now I bring the tags in my pocket.
 It's a small abbatoir and after killing the carcasses have my name painted on them with purple dye.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 02:26:08 pm »
are you serious that you get away with that. i think you place maybe closing down if they are caught. would you be out of the uk by any chance.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 05:43:55 pm »
Im not in UK admittedly, but I did think, from reading other websites that it was ok to slap mark and not tag pigs deigned for abattoir use.  Do they have to be tagged before 6 months anyway.  Here its normal for a large consignment for one to be ear tagged the rest dont appear to be.  Just curious.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 08:48:13 pm »
they have to have id. wether slap mark or tags. why are you not tagging them. unless there your piglets they should be tagged before you get them. the pigs could be from anywhere if they are not id.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 09:07:29 am »
My  mistake, just something I had assumed from reading another site.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 09:14:27 am »
Pigs under 12 months can still move between holdings on a temporary paint mark. Only need tagging/slap marking when moving to the abattoir or for breeding pigs over 12 months.

From DEFRA's rules on Pig Identification.

Movements between holdings in the case of pigs under 1 year, may continue using a temporary paint mark which must last at least until a pig reaches it’s destination.

HTH

(ETA - this applies to England, no idea on the rules for the rest of Europe)
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 09:51:53 am »
I'm sure the regulations are the same or very similar throughout the EU. In my case, in Ireland, the abbatoir was being considerate as previously I arrived with the tags in my pocket and pigs with torn ears.
In any event, there should be some simpler way of marking pigs. Why not your initials painted on them, as is done with mountain sheep? Too many of the regulations are designed with only the factory producer in mind.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 12:44:23 pm »
in most cases. but unless they have a id that can be traced and they turn out to be diseased which non of us want then how can they be traced. our hill sheep need tagging. but as they are pushing a head with this electronic tagging scheme. its getting silly. next they will have sat tracking installed.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 03:40:13 pm »
What is this electric tagging system?  How will it work, is it a chip or a tag, and will it apply to all animals or just sheep?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 05:16:20 pm »
the tags have chips in. like the ones we put into dogs. but they have tried them up here and they can't cope with our weather. we also have very tough rules. we have slaughtered out all the scrapie and any animal that comes up has to go through two screenings. this is just the EU running mad. about £800 +£1.60 per tag compared to 9 pence for a tag. we have 10 sheep and 4 lambs if we have to pay that then we will have to give up on sheep. horses are having to be tagged so I'm sure that the pigs and cattle will be pulled into it soon. we now even have to fill movement paper work for winkles. my two boys loved to go winkling but now even that is being made more difficult.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:24:38 pm by shetlandpaul »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 07:03:09 pm »
seriously ..... you have to fill in paper work to collect winkles ......  the world really has gone mad. ....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS