Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ploughing newbie question  (Read 2686 times)

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
ploughing newbie question
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, first question!

I've bought a 2nd hand single furrow plough and am having a go at ploughing up a section of pasture that we'll eventually use for veg.  The plough has a coulter, that works great and I'm getting a good depth.  The problem is that it's not completely burying the trash.  More turning it on it's side if you see what I mean.  I've played with the furrow width and that improved it a bit, but its still struggling to turn it completely over.

As you can tell, I'm a complete newby to ploughing, so advice gratefully received.

old dad

• Joined May 2010
Re: ploughing newbie question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 06:09:44 pm »
you need to just take the turf off with the skim and forward speed will make a difference. hope this helps .good luck

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:29:51 pm »
The coulter is there to cut a neat line so you have no rip outs. The mould board should turn over fully on a single furrow plough so I would say you aren't level check tyre pressures and the arms are same length first then balance the plough so pulls level and straight. You will find this will make sure the mould board works a dream. If you have a skim then put it down half a hole, although not many single leg ploughs come with one, this will slice the leading edge allowing the trash to be buried if your depth isn't to great.

Admittedly though I don't do much small ploughing but just finished 30 hectares about 72 acres so I hope the weather keeps dry and the ground stays light

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:26:51 am »
Been thinking other problem could be top link to short, it should be just tapping

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I went back the following day and noticed that the plough wasn't quite in line with the tractor, at a slight angle.  Anyway I adjusted that and it seemed to go a little better.  Unfortunately I was only ploughing a small area, so didn't have a chance to fine tune it.  Plenty more to plough later though!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS