Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vaccinations  (Read 5917 times)

Pixie

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: vaccinations
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 03:24:32 pm »
Sorry it's took me a wile to get back on here and thankyou so much for everyones help,it doesn't seem to be quite the mine field i thought it would be!Our fields are wet so probably best to the fluking.We get our new wooly friends in 6 days,can't wait!

x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: vaccinations
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 06:34:32 pm »
Catching up on this thread belatedly...

If you don't need immunity for yet-to-be-born lambs, you can look at other vaccines than Heptavac-P, which is "pretty hard on the sheep" (quote from our vet.)   Covexin-8 would give similar cover - without the pneumonia - for instance.

Flukicide - twice a year isn't enough for animals wintering outside in flukey areas.  Cattle traditionally are fluked on housing and again 6-8 weeks later to get any adults now grown from eggs/very young larvae at the time of the first treatment.  In theory, there are no fluke about by the time the girls go out in the spring.

Fluke prevention tactics differ for sheep and cattle.  Cows' livers seem to recover from any fluke provided it didn't become extreme, so it is acceptable to take some risks and treat if a 'bottle jaw' is observed.  Sheep's livers do not recover, so it is all about prevention.

Sheep wintering outside on wet ground will need fluking every 6-8 weeks from October through March.  In our part of Cumbria at the moment, fluke is year-round - lambs with flukey livers in August - so we have to treat every 6-8 weeks all year.

NFU Online seems to have pulled that article - can someone tell me what it said, please?

Rosemary, after discussion with my organic dairy neighbour, I do my house cows with Ivomec Super (injection, does worms plus adult fluke) 60+ days before calving.  (The neighbour routinely treats his as soon as they are dried off.)  If I have any concerns when they are in milk, I use Albacert and do not take any milk for the house for a few days.  (Milk withdrawal for Albacert is 60 hours.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS