Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Identify my Chickens!  (Read 2758 times)

Lion Learners

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Soham
Identify my Chickens!
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:58:51 pm »
I recently took on a flock of 24 chickens and 3 ducks from a gentleman who could no longer keep them. The problem I have is that they're a real mixed bunch and I have no idea what breeds I have. I have spent hours over the last couple of weeks looking at pictures of chickens online and I still don't feel I can be confident about any of them. I'm even starting to doubt the ones I thought thought I knew from my established flock.

Can you help? I've put the first few pictures below...
Follow our progress on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SouthAngleFarm

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Identify my Chickens!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:06:07 pm »
Most are cross breds but thats no problem as they look fit and well.

Unless your a pureist cross bred/hybrids are as good and sometimes better than pure bred.

The barred birds look like Marans You will see if they lay a dark brown egg.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:08:23 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Lion Learners

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Soham
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:06:09 pm »
I suspected they were hybrids. Any ideas what of?

The cockerel in picture 1 is a magnificent beast. The ones in the other are all quite small.

I'm not expecting any eggs from the marans as I'm pretty sure I have seen both of them crowing.

Liona

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 06:16:12 pm »
I have some of No3 - they are black rock (hybrids).  Lovely birds that lay super eggs.  No 2 looks like a black tail, another hybrid - there is also another name for them - depends where you purchase from as to what they call them!  The place I purchased my hens call these the Siston black tail as the site is in Siston!   I have 9 hybrid hens and they lay throughout the year, including all through the winter months.  They are all very friendly too and I find them so entertaining and chatty!  Love your speckled hens in the first picture.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:31:34 pm »
I agree. Chicken 3 is a Black Rock. The other two do look like hybrids, but I'm not sure which ones. All look in great condition though. :thumbsup:

Lion Learners

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Soham
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
Thanks so much for your answers! Most of them are the same as the black rocks or are the same shape as the blacktails (No. 2) but in all sorts of different colours.

A couple more pictures for you. There's a few 'spotty' ones like number 5 that are all very small. Number 6 is one I would particularly like to know (it's just a better picture of number 4). Number 7 is another large cockerel.

Thanks again

Liona

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 07:05:09 pm »
 :wave:  Hi

I think that most are cross bred hens and cockerels.

Black rocks can vary a lot in plumage colour and I think that although one looks a bit like a Black Rock it could be a X breed as opposed to a hybrid and the same for No2 .

All look bright and healthy.  ;D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:32 pm »
We once had a farmer staying in the farm cottage who produced organic eggs and chickens for Sainsburys.  He said he started with Warrens and on the way to do his sales pitch to the supermarket buyers thought up a new name with a more happy, rural sound (he didn't tell me what it was though!)

scruffbag

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:48 pm »
cockeral 7 looks like a welsummer.
number 2 could be a new hampshire red or cross of one.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:05:18 pm »
The spotty girls in background of pic one look a spit of my 2 girls who are black rock x two other breeds cant remember exact breeds.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS