Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy kid advice  (Read 2156 times)

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
Pygmy kid advice
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:31:56 pm »
Hello again, after yet more advice if you please,
We had our very first pygmy kid born on sunday morning her mum came to us from a friend who had bred from her before so shes not new to this like us.
baby appears to be doing well feeding and toileting but im just not sure thats shes quite right. To me her bottom jaw  appears very slightly over shot and she seems very quiet compared to our other breeds of goats kids that weve had.
I maybe over thinking this but i think she stands with her head too low if that makes sense, i have watched her suckle and mum seems to be taking care of her as any other goat would. Our friend is coming saturday to see what he makes of it and im thinking of taking her to the vets too but dont want to stress her or mum for no reason.
Does any of this sound like anything to worry about or am i just being too cautious?

Thanks Jane x

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Pygmy kid advice
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:48:53 pm »
Hi I had 2 kids born on Saturday morning and while one of them is pretty lively the other is much quieter  and spends a lot of time just lying under the heatlamp, but like yours she is feeding ok and Mum is not giving her any less attention, I think they are all just different and I certainly wouldnt stress her or mum by taking her to the vet.BUT I am a total novice so I am sure someone with lots more experience will be along soon.
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:06:17 pm »
If she is a single and has no other kids to play with she is probably just naturally a bit quieter.

I would get her mouth (possible overshot) checked by an experienced goatkeeper (or shepherd), if not the vet.

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:20:29 am »
Thanks both for your replies, goat keeper friend came by today and agrees that she is very slightly out of line jaw wise but he also thinks she is doing just as anyother single kid does.
She is quiet but is feeding and growing, he thinks that she possibly struggled for oxygen during birth or similar hence her slow start, but she seems stronger everyday so yes i was probably worried for nothing.
Many thanks again  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:21:42 am »
Give us an update xemonsus about the jaw and your experience too - we are breeding our pygmy goat this year too and it's always good to read about what may happen.  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:46:34 am »
When the vet was here yesterday he checked the kids mouth and she has an overshot bottom jaw, he said that is was not anyhing to worry about as often as they grow it improves, hers is only slight.
Anne

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »
Will def give you all an update as things go, interesting Daisys mum that yours has a slight overshoot too, i wonder if this is something to expect when they are born. If only we had all the answers when we start out on these journeys  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS