Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best breed of chicken for the table  (Read 3115 times)

PPF

• Joined Jul 2012
Best breed of chicken for the table
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:35:15 pm »
I have chickens, but they are all Ex bat living out their lives in a bit of peace.

I want to buy some chickens in for the table and would like some advice on the best breed to use and how long it takes to produce them etc.

Thanks in advance!

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
Re: Best breed of chicken for the table
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »
Try cornish cross birds. These can be ready for the table in 8 to 12 weeks (on the right diet). Other large birds have the ability also to give a good sized carcass after a lo9nger time-span. It depends how you want to do it.

PPF

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:47:57 pm »
I've been thinking of Orpington, but they never seem to be mentioned in table bird threads.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:59:19 pm »
 Orps are all feather and fluff.   Try a hybrid table bird such as Ross Cobb/hub bards/colour yields.   You rear them slowly, on grass and they will produce beautiful roasting birds in about 10- 14 weeks.
Traditional breed cockerels - Ixworth/Indian Game / light Sussex can also be used but take up to 20 wks.  The meat on these, I have found to be a bit more gamey and not as tender.

It can be quite hard to get hold of small numbers of hybrid birds depending one where you are in the country.  the chap my way, does min 25.

the great composto

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 07:25:23 pm »
I keep orpingtons and was told they put a lot of effort into producing the large carcass that they dont put on meat quickly.
I have only eaten orpingtons so I can vouch for the low meat bit at 20 weeks but nothing to compare against.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:03:08 pm »
Have a look at my web page and it should sort some of your problems out.

Forget Orpingtons, all feathers now and at one time these were a top winter layer.

I keep Australorp. They are about the same as Orpingtons before the utility was bred out of them.
Crossed to an Indian Game hen they give you a superb layer and table bird.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

the great composto

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 05:17:03 pm »
So........  castle farm  - what would your best table bird be?

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:51:34 pm »
We had a Croad over the last two nights.  Slaughtered around 20 weeks.  I was really impressed with how tender the breast meat was and the amount of meat on the legs.  Really very good, especially for a surplus bird.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS