Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick ewe?  (Read 6368 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
sick ewe?
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:17:14 am »
One of my ewew doesnt look well. Stood on its own yesterday. It's away from the others and this morning it looked like it was lambing under the wall. Standing up, turning round, star gazing but when I got to it it wasn't. It's not bagged up and I don't even know if it is in lamb. It was one I bought last year that had been with a tup before I got it. It is not overly thin although I don't think it is eating. Going to bring it into the stable as the weather is really bad. Any suggestions?
Karen

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: sick ewe?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:27:53 pm »
If it's star gazing my first suspect would be twin lamb.  Can you get close enough to smell its breath?  If it's TL it'll be like nail polish remover/pear drops.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:07:00 pm »
I've got it penned in a shelter that I use for my cows when they are in that field. It does not smell. It doesn't seem to have a temprature or be panting at all. I have left it in a straw bed with some hay. hard feed and water. Will see what happens overnight. What would I do if it was twim lamb disease?
Karen

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:05:30 pm »
Just been to check on her and she has aborted twin lambs. Deformed and very smelly. Husband gone to get antibiotics from local farmer. Hope she will be OK. Her condition is fairly good so here's hoping and also hopeing that I don't loose any more. Don't think it is that smallenburg virus but will post if it turns out to be.  :fc:
Karen

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 05:20:38 pm »
Sad for the lambs but if things weren't right its better they are 'out'. Hope the antibiotics do their job and she recovers well....

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:27:40 pm »
How big were the lambs out of interest?

Sorry for your poor ewe!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:30:21 pm »
Oh that's a pity chicken lady, hope she recovers from her experience poor girl, lots of TLC  :fc: :hug:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:37 pm »
Sorry to hear this.    :'(   Keep her isolated from your other in-lamb ewes as abortion can be contagious and spread through your flock. 

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:37:49 pm »
One was about 9 inches - deformed, pink. The other was just a long piece of mush, could only make out a couple of hooves. She has started eating so hope she will be OK. How long should I keep her isolated?
Karen

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:51:20 pm »
Sorry to hear that CL. Out of curiosity all you knowledgable folks out there, what happens with the stored up milk in circumstances such as this unfortunate one? Does CL have to milk her? What are the chances of mastitis?

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 09:57:27 pm »
She had no milk - no bag. If she had I would just leave her. Still need to keep an eye on her for signs of mastitis but she would just dry up naturally.
Karen

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 10:01:54 pm »
My c-section goat that had milk I double checked with the vet at the time and he said she should dry up naturally - just to keep an eye on things
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 10:05:23 pm »
Isolate for approx 3 weeks if possible, but definitely until any vaginal discharge has cleared up.  If you kept foetus your vet will be able to tell you what type of abortion has occurred as some types have more risk than others to the rest of your flock. This might be useful to know as she won't be too happy kept on her own for too long.  Sounds like she was probably about midterm in her pregnancy?

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:56:09 am »
She's fine this morning. Gave her 2nd dose of antibiotics. She's eating and drinking. Think she will be OK just have to watch for any secondary infection which could occur at about 10 days.
Karen

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 12:34:29 pm »
Great news   :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS