Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yeld ewes  (Read 5847 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Re: Yeld ewes
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 07:13:45 pm »
I'm sorry but I think it's just one of those things that not every single 1 every time will catch the tup - we find if you put the tups in early ish & can then scan earlier on you can put in the the empty ones back in with the tups again for some later lambs, scan again & if their older ewes then they can be culled out - if their 1st time lambers give them another year & if not its bye bye.

You can um & ah about what it could be & spend all the money on tests & drugs & vets ect, but the scanning should tell you if they had aborted or not - fine if so separate as it could be something like toxoplasmosis that could infect the flock so it's worth investigating if you've had a few or smallenberg - which next year they should be immune to anyway if the reports are true.

If its not diseases then I suppose the next step is good book keeping & management - I'd start by having all rams for small pedigree flocks & commercial flocks fertility tested - also when buying 1 I would tend to buy private to know the linage, the females also you could keep a record of how old when bought or 1st bred & how many lambs & matings were needed & also the quality of offspring each year also if a home bred ewe what was her mother like - That way genetics is ruled out. I also cannot sing the praises enough of teaser rams in both commercial flocks & small pedigree ones as the idea is to keep them in small fields for approx 2 weeks to get all the ewes cycling in estrous together instead of having them in larger fields spread out & cycling over a much larger period of time & then swap the teaser rams with the proper ones in the small field that way you have a much shorter lambing period & a rough idea of when they are all due or were mated & also a great idea is tup markers so you can keep track of who's mated who.

I find the tup markers a great way of keeping track of each tups libido levels as it were - so if need be he can be tested again or culled & also by record keeping with them on things like lambs produced you can have an idea of each ewes fertility &  genetics & cull out undesirable breeding stock to optimize both quality & quantity of offspring produced - granted its a lot more work but I think its highly worthwhile in the long term despite the initial costs of teaser rams, vasectomising them, fertility testing, tup markers & time in pedigree or commercial flocks above certain numbers & that's coming from both a vet nurses & a farmers & pedigree fanatics point of view.

Sorry for the essay x.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 08:34:24 pm »
Also, if you scanned not long after the tup came out, don't assume all those who are empty actually are. If he had been poorly and lost some fertility, he may well have covered those ewes since but not far enough back for the scanner to tell.
My scanner says to be fairly sure wait a month after mating, to be really sure wait six weeks.

You may have those lambs yet ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 09:01:05 pm »
Of course there is the "cull your barreners" option.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS