Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wet, wet, wet, and i dont mean the group either!  (Read 2645 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Wet, wet, wet, and i dont mean the group either!
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:02:31 pm »
I am fast coming to my wits end with the rain, the paddock gateways are sludge now it's disgusting, the pens that I keep breeding chooks in are foul, pardon the pun and I am sick of getting a soaking! When will we get a break, the hay barn has been flooded 4 times this Winter, never before, luckily it's all up on pallets, I don't know how long before the Shetland and the sheep are confined to quarters, we are on clay which doesn't help but also have a slope so it should run away but we are at saturation I guess, rant over, how is everyone else coping or are you pulling your hair out like me :)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Wet, wet, wet, and i dont mean the group either!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:12:15 pm »
Yes its getting my animals down and I cant even pull out my hair as i have very little left  :farmer: :roflanim:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:57:42 pm »
Yep , sick of it , but what can you do ?
More heavy rain forecast , then another cold blast next week , sleet , snow and very cold .
The odd day like yesterday and today , mainly blue sky and sun , are about all that is getting me through atm .
Although i think we had about 3 foot of rain last night , it was dry again today , less windy too .
Wooden gates are green and mouldy , even the horses are going green , rubbing on gates etc lol .
It has been warm though !

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:00:06 pm »
I think it is saturation, we have had springs bubbling up and we are on a slope and on sandy soil and they are in places that have never sprung in 60 years.
Theres just nowhere for it to go. Wish for some dry and calm weather but the forecast doesnt look as tho I will get my wish any time soon.....

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:15:50 pm »
Its so bad everywhere but where I walk the dogs in the forest, I went out ready to get wet and i was actualy too hot...our garden is dry and clean to walk on due to loads of chippings, no boggy parts at all so the hens are happy are larry!!
I remember living in S Lanarkshire and the poor neighbour could not put her horses out due to boggie fields, they were huge beautiful shire horse that were also used to pull a dray!!
I must bear in mind when moving not to be near any rivers.....they are certainly a worry when its soooo wet!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:43:28 pm »
We had a thunderstorm this morning and the goat yard was underwater in places.  Thinking of getting them waterwings.

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:53:18 pm »
We had thunder and heavy rain last night but fine today and very windy. Forecast for tomorrow is rain again  :raining:

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:14:44 am »
We have had rain again this morning so keeping horses in to give them a break, all chooks are free ranging totally at the moment, normally they are in the paddocks with electric fence, so they can at least get in the hay barn and up out of the mud. Thinking of bringing sheep in over weekend to get them on dry ground ( only got two so will put them in a stable) they will hate it but doing it for their feet! That just leaves me good job I got new wellies lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS