Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potato question  (Read 1422 times)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Potato question
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:49:43 pm »
Hi, I've been asking around some very knowledgable folks about this no one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer.

My theory - using first earlies, if I don't earth up my first row of earlies do I get a quicker albeit smaller crop? following on from this I was thinking of earthing up a second row once and my third row twice  to delay ripening

my reason for this is that I am sharing the rows with several people and don't want them all ready at the same time

I am aware that people often earth up purely to protect from frost

Thanks
Ian

Re: Potato question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:27 pm »
My Understanding is that earthing up is done mainly to protect from light, to provide some protection from frost, and to make the tubers develop in broken up soil so that they grow an even shape.

I dont think not earthing up will speed development which is dependant on soil nutrition levels, water availability and provision of nutrients from the leaves - potatoes dont ripen.

The best way to stagger cropping is to stagger planting.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:27 pm »
Thanks for that SfS, I did think ripen was the wrong word!.. My thoughts were that the un-earthed up ones would develop leaves quicker thus be ready for lifting quicker. but your point on staggering the planting is probably the correct route.

look out for me I will be ordering several bags of tatties and onions and probably shallots soon

Ian

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:06 pm »
I would agree with the above and stagger planting or if possible plant in different areas maybe shaded or even poorley drained. Sun, soil type,fertility and moisture should determine growth. Or just plant different varieties and hope for differnt growth rates. I would keep banking up though to ensure no green spuds and a nice shape.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS