Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausages???  (Read 6973 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Sausages???
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 04:22:11 pm »
Yes I forgot to mention "no rusk" Pete. A very satisfying sausage  ;D . We make them them about 15cm long and with standard hog skins.
If you keep ducks then they are a must to eat with duck legs in a cassoulet.   
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:15:50 pm »
Glad you liked the bit of kit. Our sausages had burgens bread, sage, black pepper, salt, spring onions. Yum! Jamie Oliver does a Catherine wheel type sausage recipe, gonna try that one soon!

Wouldbesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 04:06:36 pm »
For what it's worth, I found myself with a lot of 'trimmings' having butchered pigs, and although I had skins, I didn't realise how utterly impossible they are to stuff without the right kit.

My solution? Make them skinless, simply roll the prepped sausage meat (with various flavourings; chilli, onion garlic, leek etc) into 'sausages' and freeze.

Never tasted a sausage like it!

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 04:53:49 pm »
Hi folks, I currently have 4 saddleback pigs we are bringing on for pork! Two should be at weight for killing within the next couple of weeks. I have got the abattoir sorted but still need to find a suitable butcher. My main concern is sausages. I have heard that they can be expensive to get your butcher to make? Is it worth paying the butcher or should I buy a sausage filling kit and try it myself?!? How hard can it be after all? (Famous last words, lol).

Does any one have any experience of this or could give me any advice on the sausage making process ( dos and donts?).

Thanks
Alastair

Hi Alastair,

I would be interested to know which abattoir you have chosen, and also butcher?  We haven't been able to find one in NI that would take a couple of animals at a time.

Thanks.

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 02:45:19 am »
doing your own is much more fun

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS