Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beetroot Wine  (Read 2824 times)

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
Beetroot Wine
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:50:06 pm »
Hi guys I started a batch of beetroot wine at the weekend with the leftover beetroot I found while clearing the raised beds. It is bubbling away nicely at the minute. The recipe I used said it was "ready to drink" 14 days after fermentation finished. That seems a short time to me, I wonder what "ready to drink" means. Should I start drinking after 14 days as it doesn't keep well? Or does it mean its okay to drink after 14 days but will improve with age? I was wondering if anyone has experience with beetroot wine and could let me know if it needs ageing or does it spoil over time? Thanks

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Re: Beetroot Wine
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:49:05 am »
I suspect it is the latter. Everything I have brewed to date has improved with age: beer, cider and blackberry wine. Never tried beetroot: good luck!
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:59:47 am »
We kept trying our's every month for five years and it always just tasted of earth!" :roflanim:  We threw it out at that point
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:27:26 am »
I've read that too, but one of my books suggests a remedy. I'll dig it out tonight.  :wave:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:01:07 pm »
We made a load of beetroot wine about 18 years ago - it was awful when we first tried it about 6 months after bottling it. Found a very dusty bottle the other day. It was still dreadfull.

A word of advice - if you have beetroot that you need to make into something - try chutney!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS