Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pet plan?  (Read 9244 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: pet plan?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 11:06:36 am »
That's an awful lot for a youngster, but be careful - he now has a recorded ongoing condition and you may find if you change insurers they won't cover that leg.
Not only that, but the original insurer may put up the premiums to an impractical level - while still upholding their promise to 'not exclude the condition'... ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:40 pm »
I used to insure my lab she was our first dog so thought we should. She's 9 now and never made a claim and stopped the insurance 3 years ago as premiums kept rising. We have 4 dogs now and I am of the thinking that it is obscene the amounts of money that get spent to keep a dog alive. If any of them get ill that will result in a bill of thousands they will be put down no question, it's only a dog.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 04:04:00 pm »
I used to insure my lab she was our first dog so thought we should. She's 9 now and never made a claim and stopped the insurance 3 years ago as premiums kept rising. We have 4 dogs now and I am of the thinking that it is obscene the amounts of money that get spent to keep a dog alive. If any of them get ill that will result in a bill of thousands they will be put down no question, it's only a dog.

I kind of agree with you BB - I suspect a lot of animals get treatment "because they can" and it's not in their best interests AND people feel under pressure to try everything before saying "PTS".

I used to have insurance for Smokey, my pony, but the premiums were shy high and the one time I wanted to claim they wouldn't pay up. I have liability insurance and accident insurance but I've tld the vet never to suggest taking the horse to the Dick Vet for anything - if it's that bad, it's a bullet. Saw so many horses carted off to the Vet school when we were in livery; none ever came back and the owners / insurance had bills of thousands of pounds.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:06:56 pm by Rosemary »

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 04:42:15 pm »
Vets these days seem to take is as the norm that you will have insurance so start offering different treatments which often don't actially work, so then suggest something.  I always ask for the expected cost before they start any (apart from any pain relief) and then make my decision whether to proceed or not.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:29 pm »
I met a trainee Vet at a wedding last year. He was rubbing his hands in expectation of starting work. He joked that he hated pets but loved money. We told him of our vet bills here in France and he said that they do not make enough money.
The savings account for Vet bills is a great idea and saves frustration with insurrance companies when the animal has a recurrent problem or has been excluded from various treatments or investigations. If you have a "pet passport" then a trip to france could save a few bob  :-J .
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 05:32:58 pm »
I do agree with Rosemary, I have never had pet insurance for any of my dogs. Yes out current darling cost about 800quid last year when she had her op, courtesy of someone dumpingtheir rubbish in our lane..., but we figured that we had her for 5 years and would have easily paid that in insurance already. I would always ask for a quote and am a firm believer in deciding what's in my dog's interest not the vet's and insurance industry...

pheonix

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 05:38:00 pm »
That's an awful lot for a youngster, but be careful - he now has a recorded ongoing condition and you may find if you change insurers they won't cover that leg.

i havent made a claim tho - does it stay on his medical record? we are not quite sure what he has strained but if it doesnt improve he will need an xray. i told petplan about it before i went to vet as i was sure the bill would be expensive, and i wasnt sure how to pay if he was insured.
i have 2 days to decide but before the petplan policy expires.

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 05:46:41 pm »
I haven't been,even looked, on here in months but now I'm back on will probably while away many more hours that I don't have!
I had my older (Rescue) lurcher Blue insured for the first few years with Pet Plan as from my experience working in vet practice knew they are very reliable and pay out quickly with no hassle, also got a reduction for working in a vet practice. The premiums went, in 4 years from £12 + to about £24. So when I got my newest lurcher pup (another rescue who had been dumped with her sister starving at 6 wks) I spent ages on,line looking at options. Finally went for the Co-Op.I pay £11.50 per month I'm not sure off hand the amount of cover I get but it's enough to cover major surgery, illness etc plus 3rd party legal expenses & all the usual. I cancelled Blue's insurance with Pet Plan and as she's around 11 now almost impossible to find cover. BUT my vets have a scheme where I pay£11  monthly which covers  boosters,worming & flea treatment for the year (although I don't agree with yearly boosters or preventative flea treatment, would treat if they got fleas) but for an extra £1.99 get a good level of  insurance cover for accidents (not illness) As I'm more worried about accidents it suits me very well. At her age any very expensive treatment/ongoing  for illness would have to be considered at the time.

pheonix

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 08:47:57 pm »
well i just looked online and the cover i wanted is £17 pcm not £25 as the guy on the fone wanted me to sign up to - even with the 10% online discount - its still a big difference. i couldnt see a policy for £25 anywhere on the website. neither can i see the £100 excess as its £90 on-line. bizarre! maybe fone and internet policies are different ?
the wee dog is still limping even after painkillers and anti-inflammatories so i think we will go the insurance way for the first year. i dont know how he hurt himself cos we'd only been to the beach for 20 mins.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:54:35 pm by pheonix »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 09:46:23 pm »
When we got our GSD we decided to take out insurance and had just received the form to apply when he had his first fit.  The insurance company then wouldn't insure for epilepsy only other illnesses or accidents (unless he had an accident due to having a fit) so we decided not to bother.  In his last years he was costing £70 a month for medication for epilepsy and rheumatism, which is a lot more than the insurance would have cost. 

He died nearly four years ago and we only have one pet dog now - the other two are a working guide dog and retired guide dog so all vet's bills are paid by GDBA - who is 10 years.  She's never been ill apart from ear canker once and mange once, so all she costs is for her annual check up and boosters.  I think it's swings and roundabouts with pet insurance.  You just don't know what is going to happen.  I do know though, that if anything happened that was going to cost a fortune, we would have to think very carefully.

Our vet does, however, have a sign in the waiting room which says that if you can't afford the treatment tell the vet beforehand so I think they will allow paying bills off gradually.

Derby_menagerie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Derby
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 10:41:29 am »
often the bill comes down when the vet knows you are not insured!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 10:57:35 am »
I trust our vet and I am sure he does not suggest un nesessary treatment or tests. I usualy send pups off with the free insurance for a few weeks, however, they are not always good at paying out.
I had some pups advertised and a lovely lady wanted one but they had gone, I said our next and our last litter would be the next year from our other female, she did not want to waite so bought a pup from elsewhere, I saw photos and it looked a bit too thin for my likeing, it turned out to have a condition that stopped it being able to feed, the vets operated but it still did not work so the pup was eventualy PTS, they then saw my pups were due and have bought one, he is a big wonderful healthy boy but they still have not had the money fromt the insurance for the other pup and it was over 18mths ago and more than £4,000 .
I did however not bother with the insurance for 2 pups the stud dog owner had as he had loads of dogs, one of those pups went to a vet with an estate in St Andrews so no prob but the other went off to London and it turned out to have a little lump on his head, now both me and the stud dog owner would have left that for a while as a lot of fat pups get little lumps, it however should be checked out, but anyway, they had it removed and we both had to share the cost of travel etc.....I felt so sorry for the little chap as I thought he was going to some one local and would have happily taken him to  our vet and kept him until he recovered....It was not too costly but could have been.

I am in shock as I just found out that my little Yellow male pup ( that went to the estate in St Andrews) is owned buy a Billionaire............I know the game keeper that works for him and he said how well he is doing and already walking to heel...I am so proud, hope i get some piccies.!!
and I only got £400  :thinking:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:44:20 am by happygolucky »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:31 am »
I am a breeder member of the DBI (Dog Breeders Insurance).  All pups leave me with 12 weeks free insurance and I receive loyalty vouchers.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 12:02:26 pm »
We use pet plan for each of our 5.  We have found them to be superb. No quibbles, they just pay up.
One dogs premium is covered each month by his need for a specific supplement - it really works for us. 

On balance, I think we actually get our money back, especially as they are covered for life ( ask about this)
An awful lot of policies, stop at 8 yrs or 10 ...just when alot of problems are going to naturally start occurring.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 12:04:59 pm »
Just wanted to add....... Double check if they will cover you for his leg.  They may refuse on the basis of an existing illness but as it is may be deemed as a continuation on an existing policy it might be covered. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS