Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ad lib milk feeders  (Read 6159 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Ad lib milk feeders
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
Anyone got any recommendations? Looking at the shepherdess one in particular. Can you use any milk replacer with it i.e. can I use volac lamlac on the shepherdess? Thinking about investing in one for our orphans. How do you regulate how much they drink, with only 2 teats how can you ensure everyone gets their fair share? (we have 3 at the moment and 1 is not such a vigorous drinker as the other 2 and takes a bit of persuasion.

Is it worth doing? Thinking it may help with reducing labour especially as I will start getting busy with my business come March/April plus I like the idea of them having it ad lib through the night, much more natural. Any recommendations or opinions welcome!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Ad lib milk feeders
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:23:25 pm »
we use the shepherdess with heater, it works well but it MUST be thoroughly cleaned out each day otherwise the milk goes off very quickly. ours was a twin set up but we just drilled two new holes in the lid and added 2 more tubes and teats in theory if you put it somewhere that lambs could get all around it you could have 8 or 12 teats . I would recommend keeping the bucket topped up to stop guzzlers blowing themselves up. if they get hungry they can have a tendency to overdo the next feed

Ian

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
Do you end up using more milk? How do you wean them, do you reduce the amount of milk you put in the feeder and increase the creep in their pen? We had 6 on bottles last year and reduced feeds by 1 bottle per week then cut out milk after 6 wks, with them being ad lib would they be able to weaned earlier?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33:11 pm »
we keep feeding them until they milk powder runs out. we usually go through 2X20kg bags for 6-10 lambs  by then they are on cold milk with creep feed and hay and (hopefully) grass. I don't believe in saving an opened bag til the next year
Ian

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:30:56 pm »
The two teats can feed upto 15 lambs - as they feed when they want - no need to really add more

You can use with SCA or Volac or any other milk powder - as long as you make sure you mix it lump free.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:33:26 pm »
sorry SfS, I don't agree with feeding up to 15 lambs off two feeders, too much competition, I know in theory everything should be calm and each lamb will queue to get milk but weaker smaller lambs will get knocked off just because they are sucking and the other lambs want to play the same game. we now split the pens up so bigger older lambs are one side and younger weaker lambs on the other with two teats either side
Ian

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:58 am »
We have a Shepherdess, although we have never used it I was under the impresion that the powder used had to be suitable for long term once mixed because the water/powder could seperate leaving a sludge in the bottom ? or are they all suitable now because of this reason ?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 11:06:25 am »
They will drink more on an ad-lib feeder, but then you weight that up against the cost of your time, and I think they do better ad-lib too.  Volac have some info on feeders here: http://www.volac.com/media/uploads/Lambing%20Guide%202012.pdf

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 06:38:14 pm »
Thanks all! We bought one today, set it up this afternoon and I think it's a success. 2 out of 3 of the lambs had a good feed on it and have been coming back to it all afternoon. I filled it with 2 litres for 3 lambs and they have had about 1.5 litres since we set it up but I think once they realise it is always there they may not drink so often!

One question- 1 ram lamb is slightly behind the other 2 in terms of weight, he was quite thin when we got him. He doesn't seem as interested in the shepherdess- so would you continue feeding him by the bottle (albeit not quite so often) or just leave him to suss the job out with the shepherdess?

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:52 pm »
Try to lead it to the teat - it will soon get the hang of it.

May I ask how much you paid and from where? - send me a pm if you like - always interested in seeing where the competition is.  :excited:
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03:30 pm »
Thanks, just got him to suck and he didn't let go for a good 5 minutes, must have been hungry. The little ewe lamb seems to always have a round belly but I'm hoping once she realises there's always milk there she might calm down a bit!

I'll pm you now :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS