Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: friendly pregnant ewe????  (Read 3781 times)

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
friendly pregnant ewe????
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »
Hi all,
Observing my ladies this last few weeks, i have one that is so much more friendly of late ? .. it is the only one that i suspect is pregnant ( as only 9 months old ) :) and was wondering if it was that she is pregnant, she seems so much calmer than the others ... any experiences..... it might be that she just loves attention but 5 weeks ago she would only stay back and watch the other sheeps... she loves to be stroked which is very much out of character???

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: friendly pregnant ewe????
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:56:30 pm »
mmmm 34 views no comments yet?..  :innocent:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 05:58:14 pm »
She might be hungry?..

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:27:37 pm »
hehe.. very good . Mind you she is a sheep and after a pig they dont stop eating...No its nice just very calming and almost loving without being pushy . We are newish to this and noticed a change in herself. Not complaining just wondered if it may be through her body changing etc,?

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 06:35:51 pm »
Don't want to diappoint you but one of ours always becomes more affectionate when in season.....

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:31:20 pm »
ah haaa... Hi Katie, nice answer this is just what im after observational answers..
We had a Ram in for a month on the off chance some of our ladys were coming into season, but he i think was "gay" hehe... he seemed to try occasionally to mount them from the side.. we will see in a few weeks or so..
Its nice that these questions can be put on here for us amateurs (me).. we only have 6 sheep all friendlyish especially with food in a bucket... but this i Tete Rouge is like a pet all of a sudden . not reading anything into it just wondered.... and she has been the same for a month now same every day...  Its nice We love ouyr sheep.  :)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:18:48 pm »
Did you breed this ewe or buy in? Any chance of her being with tup? I have a shearling due to lamb end of next week and her temperament has definitely changed over past month or so. She was bottle fed but became more distant once with the flock.

Now she is pregnant she is more chatty with me and likes to come over and have head scratched. I think you will just have to keep an eye on her. Watch for changes in vulva, udder, belly shape, waxing up of teats.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:35:26 pm »
Some of our girls get increasingly 'cuddly' as they near their lambing date. Some who have been pretty standoffish as gimmers become ever so friendly once they become mums. ALL our ewes are very very snuggly buggly with us when they are in the mood for love. Don't know if any of this info helps but hormonal changes do affect them greatly.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:09:49 am »
With mine it's usually "I like you now cos you are the bringer of the food"! :)

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:35:11 am »
Very very true foobar!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52:58 am »
I was quite nervous as our final Soay ewe started to lamb. I guessed she was having twins and was worried about having to help as she is the most scatty of our bunch and will not normally come close enough to even be touched. OH was away at the time and wondered how I would manage on my own ..... well with my 11 year old assistant!

Really odd. She made her own way into the shelter and allowed us in to keep an eye on her. She even came to us and nuzzled our hands a few times. She needed no help but was really calm and seemed glad that we were there with her. It was quite lovely ...... I know ..... I am soppy  ::) ;D

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 06:15:19 pm »
Hi All,
thanks for the answers.. i guess the hormone levels would possibly affect behavour.. She was with a ram for a month it is (our first time with sheep).. and noticed the behavour as alot more friendly after a couple of weeks of being with the Ram. i will be watching her like a hawk as find it all so interesting and fun they are great to watch anyway.
Keep the trhoughts comin in
Thanks Again  :)  :)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 07:24:44 pm »
If she is only 9 months now it is very young to become a mum especially with the schmallenberg risks. Keep close eye on her weight and health as it could stunt her growth if pregnant as nutrients will get pulled to the lamb. Also she might struggle a bit if not developed.

A difficult balancing act as although you want to keep her healthy and fed you don't want lambs to get too big.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS