Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my sows  (Read 4527 times)

Tricky Trev

• Joined Oct 2011
my sows
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:34:05 pm »
Hi
Tried introducing my 2 sows back with each other after weaning young ones of and they had a proper fight is this norm are have I just got anti social pigs  .
any advice much appreciated

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: my sows
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:14:44 pm »
Hi Trev
Did you put them back together on "neutral ground" - as they can be a wee bit territorial after having had babies?  If they've been in with each other before, they should settle down ok.
Mine usually have a bit of a squabble when initially put back in with the herd after weaning, but sort themselves out after a day or 2.
I have heard of folks spraying deoderant on pigs when introducing/reintroducing them - I haven't tried it personally, but it has worked for others.
Hopefully your girls will settle soon - they'll be glad of each other to snuggle up to this time of year  ;)
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 05:18:36 pm »
Two of ours had an almighty scrap last time we put them back together. Strangely it was the former dominant one who came off worst too and the pecking order is now reversed. A day or two later and a few squirts of purple spray and everything was fine.

Tricky Trev

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:57:20 pm »
hi
one,s been in pen a few weeks now they are sisters and have all ways been ok it was the dominant one who I put back in today and she came worse off will try her in pen next door for a while see if that solves problem. I have seen pigs fighting before but never like this thanks for advice

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:26:08 am »
Trev they'll just fight thro the fence better off biting the bullet and putting thme back together, i give each of mine a spray of perfume on the head so they both smell the same and they normally settle down, just be on hand with wound powder/purple spray for any bites. Also helps to feed them in separate troughs/bowls, in a day or so they'll be cuddled :love: up together ::)  and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about! If the fighting does seem nasty i find a bucket or squirt from the hose of cold water calms things down. Never try to separate them manually or alone use a board or shove a bucket over ones face.
HTH
mandy :pig:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:40:03 am »
OMG yes as Mandy says never try to get between two fighting pigs you could get seriously hurt or worse.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »
Never try to separate them manually or alone use a board or shove a bucket over ones face.
HTH
mandy :pig:

Over one of the pigs faces I assume ... not your own!!  :roflanim: :roflanim:
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Tricky Trev

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:34:32 pm »
Going to try again this weekend in a neutral pen will certainly keep distance they looked like 2 rhinos fighting last week. will have to nick some perfume off wife ,for the pigs off course
Thanks for info will let you no how we get on

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 02:50:20 pm »
I find diluted iodine works well and hangs around for a very long time.  Put a bit on their nose (the top of the snout, not the moist bit at the front) and a bit around the top  of their tails.  If you floor feed put two lines well apart so they don't quarrel over the same feed and don't give them "treats" just boring stuff, as they'll certainly want to grab them.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:07 pm »
Or TCP  :thumbsup: It's really strong smelling too  ;)
Make sure they're not in a small pen, the more space you can give them the better  :thumbsup: The one who feels threatened needs plenty of 'flight' space, otherwise she'll be forced to fight. If they've got enough space to retreat they usually do and things settle (less violently) after a couple of days.
A can of beer each will help chill them out too  ;) (seriously, it does help calm them)
If they're biting at each other's vulva's that's the sign of a more serious fight and when I would step in (armed with boards) but other than that leave them to it and keep the purple spray handy.

Good luck  :fc:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 04:58:13 pm »
Mine always get put back in with the boar straight after weaning and he will already have 2-4 sows in with him. I have 3 pens open so that 3 arks are available and they have a safe haven. I've never had any more than a few bites but I put that down to they are used to being managed in this way and sows being put in and taken out on a regular basis.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS