Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: potato blight?  (Read 3386 times)

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
potato blight?
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »
I've just been weeding the early potatoes and I noticed small brown flecks on the underside of the leaves. The plants look quite healthy otherwise and are nearly ready for digging. I have never seen potato blight so I'm wondering if this is it - ideally I'd like to leave them in the ground for another couple of weeks but not sure what to do. Help!
I've had a look at some web images of pb but I can't be sure - whatever I have it has only just happened.
Cheers
Liz

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: potato blight?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:49:43 pm »
After further research I reckon it is blight! It has been very humid and warm lately. I will try and destroy all the infected tops and hope for the best!
Liz

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:28:40 pm »
hiya lizt, you are in deed coming in to the 'danger' zone of blight.

AS long as the blight hasn't gone in to the soil you could leave the potatoes in the group but we had a big bought of rain yesterday so can't garentee the sporse havn't been washed down.

Linz

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:29 pm »
Thanks fluff
how is bump?
I've removed all the infected leaves and sealed them into plastic sacks. I've had a peek at the main crop and they seem fine (not going too close until I've been irradiated!) I'll spray them and the tomatoes and keep my fingers crossed! It's all very scientific isn't it - Smith periods and so on.... a bit x files! We haven't had rain here and hopefully it will stay dry for a while so we can cut the hay. :hshoe: We sheared the sheep recently so I'm all set to get spinning again. There is a very accomplished spinner/weaver nearby who will help me with my loom (if I spin enough!).
Regards
Liz

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:01:01 pm »
Bump is fine , fighting me all the way lol.
I think i have a tub of blight which i'll check tomorrow ran out of energy for our door jobs today.
I have been dying some wool with koolaid kit i had. It's just drying now so I take a photo when it is done .
Had total fun and even hubby like it so must be good,
Once i get spinning as long as i have the woold set up i can spin for ages. (I have broken the thread at the moment waiting for mum and dad to visit so they can give me some thread for the wheel lol.)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS