Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas trees/goats  (Read 3637 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Christmas trees/goats
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:07:50 pm »
Hi All

Our togg wether had access to a christmas tree and enjoyed a chomp before I stepped in. Have been googling everywhere but getting mixed reviews as to whether its safe for them or not?
Anyone here have any advice or experience please? also for holly (but not berries, just leaves)

thank you!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Christmas trees/goats
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:58:09 pm »
Ellie and Rowan certainly like holly. Suspect it might be self-limiting, ie your lips get sore if you try to eat too much!

The collective view on the Goat forum on Ravelry was that Christmas trees were fine for goats, as long as you hadn't bought them from somewhere that was likely to have sprayed it with anti-needle-drop spray ie a garden centre or similar.

My tree this year was a little growing one, so their Ladyships have not been allowed anywhere near it!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:02:16 pm »
Thank you Jaykay! They've had some holly, so phew!  they enjoyed it too.

Best to avoid giving the rootless tree to them then as not sure if it was sprayed. We also had a little one in a pot to try and grow on - must plant long way away from livestock!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »
I gave mine Christmas trees deliberately. Only from a trusted source though, I wouldn't feed garden center cut trees just in case ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:13 pm »
Are conifers an issue? When savannah escapes she sometimes snaffles a quick mouthful...should I worry?  I wish I'd checked to see if our xmas tree was sprayed or not, it would have been nice to feed it to them.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 08:28:48 pm »
I seem to recall that things like Leyllandi are but pines and firs in small amounts are not.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 10:11:43 pm »
I thought they were all bad.  Not that we had a tree but if I ever do get one it would be good to give it to the goats.  Mine like holly as well.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 10:22:57 pm »
Holly is ok, but obviously cause of the prickles it tends to not be their favourite thing to eat. My OH found an article about a man with a commercial herd of goats which he fed Xmas trees to, but generally evergreens aren't terribly good for goats. I didn't give our tree to them, and I don't think I would.

Leylandi, we had a fair amount of that, and goats would often snatch a quick mouthful in passing and they never came to any harm, but I would try and steer them clear. There again, ours used to steal mouthfuls of the snowberry hedge, and it is definitely poisonous, and that never did them any harm either.

Beth

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:10:24 pm »
Most evergreens are bad news, and some (laurel, rhododendron) are lethal in quite small amounts. It's not a bad rule of thumb to avoid them all if you're not sure. 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:17:00 pm »
My first goat had one small bite of laurel and I nearly lost her.  She was in agony, bellowing and throwing herself across the shed.  I took the laurel out the same day.  Don't ever want a repeat of that experience.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS