Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tag question again  (Read 2201 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
tag question again
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:17:55 pm »
we got two new sheep today.lambs from last year.
they only have a yellow tag each.does this mean they are slaughter tags? as we want to upgrade them if they are.How do we know if they are full eid or slaughter tags.they have come straight from the holding of birth to us so think even if they are just slaughter tags we can upgrade them?
new to all this and its all a bit confusing.
we are intending to keep the new ewe lamb long term but the ram lamb we are only keeping to breed from once then are slaughtering him..but he'l be over a year old by time he gets slaughtered as hes a shetland type so want to leave him a bit longer as was told they taste better if left to hoggett age.Does our intended use for them change if/how we upgrade them. iv looked at the defra site and its not helped my confusion.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: tag question again
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:32:00 pm »
a slaughter tag will only have a uk number and not an individual number. If it is a slaughter tag then contact the seller they must give you the correct tags.
Ian

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:37:04 pm »
i asked the seller at the time and he said we'd have to put our own tag in the other ear...

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:41:25 pm »
the eid and second tag MUST have the same identifying details, the only time you should be adding tags is if the originals are lost and you are using red replacements  or you have complete details of the old eid tags and replace with a new set of tags and note the change in your records.

I just had a thought! some store lambs under 9 months old can be moved on a non eid slaughter tag so it may be that so long as your lambs are slaughtered before 9 months then they may be correct. but I would suspect that you would not be allowed to upgrade later and that you must not make any changes to the tagging

when I started writing this I was confident in what I was saying... now I'm not so sure   :dunce:
Ian

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:09 pm »
This is the same problem I had with my ewe lamb a few weeks ago. As your the holding after the holding of birth you are allowed to upgrade. You call your ear tag people and get a set of replacement tags with YOUR flock number (the UK number) and an indvidual number for the sheep. You then just record it in your flock book under replacements. You DO NOT need to get tags from who you get them from as they have left there holding.If you were to keep the slaughter tags in then the animal would have to be killed by 12 months. If you want anymore info message me :) i'm getting the hang of the tagging scene now

Good luck :)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:17 pm »
thanks

thats what the guy we got them from said in a round about way but i wanted to check

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS