Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Automatic Door Opener  (Read 3775 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Automatic Door Opener
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:11:34 am »
Anyone use an auto door opener on their hen hoose? 
Any recommendations? Anything to look out for?

The 2 options seem to be the VSBsa or the Chickenguard ones.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Automatic Door Opener
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:35:01 am »
This gets discussed regularly - if you search VSB you'll come up with a lot of recommendations!  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 11:45:10 am »
Ah yes, I had been putting all the wrong words into the search.
Thanks

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:27:36 pm »
only thing i can tell you is.......... winter = frozen door = busted auto door opener

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:04:44 pm »
Yes, as Harry says, I ended up building a 'porch' around our pop hole to keep the snow and rain off, and hence stop it from freezing up. I would definitely recommend you do this.  The actual VSB itself is very good though.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 02:33:20 pm »
I have a VSB one and itis blimmin marvellous!  I did replace the wooden door with a sheet of metal though, so the runners don't stick, warp or freeze in the snow, and it works just fine.  Programming the clock takes some tting used to, but overall it is a great gadget that works!

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 07:05:56 pm »
I most certainly recommend the VSB .... but fit it on the INSIDE of the hen house and in my experience this prevents it from freezing up!  I have 2 in use, one inside and one on the outside hence the comment and direct comparison.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 08:02:10 pm »
Got a VSB (christmas present to myself) so I didn't have to rush back from work to lock the chickens in before foxy got them.

Works well excepting the freezing issue already stated, and it doesn't stop Mr Fox waiting for the door to open in the morning - I guess the timer option would sort that (he got my cockrell 2 weeks ago that way - though at least he didn't get any of the ladies). so I open the outer run door manually ATM ::) .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS