Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hoof rot  (Read 5535 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
hoof rot
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:17:03 pm »
tips for foot rot?

koppertox?

iodine?

I have 2 goats limping around.   Sticky white between the toes (way up in between the two).

Any advise appreciated.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: hoof rot
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:51:05 pm »
For any foot problems I use a spray (after clean out) of teramicine (probably spelt wrong) - from the vet and does a good job

Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:05:27 pm »

Is it foot rot or scald?
Does it smell?

If scald, get them in the dry and use blue (not purple, you need the big guns for this) spray from the vet.

If it is foot rot....Engemycin injection from the vet if bad. Keep em in on clean dry bedding. Careful trimming and spraying being sure to expose all infection to the air.
Keep them fed well as mine, especially Enid dropped weight like nobodies business when shee got foot rot this year.
With Enid it has taken 2 months to right it. I also bought some hoof paste which appears to be marvelous stuff.

Then look into why it has happened. Obviously the bacteria has to be around, but in my case I didn't trim as much as normal as I don't like trimming with poor ground conditions. What I should have done was trimmed and kept them in.
It will take me a fair time to repair the damage that I could have prevented :-\
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:23:58 am »
Terramycin or Engemycin spray if it is scald, terramycin injection if it is footrot. Don't inject goats with Mycotil (don't know the USA tradename for thiis - I think you are in the States) as it is known to kill them. Used for sheep regularly and your vet maybe would advsie if s/he deals more with sheep than with goats.

BUt otherwise regular foot trimming and try and keep them dry. Over here you get something called "golden Hoof" which people use usccessfully bathing the feet in it.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:04:45 pm »
I am in the States.

Thanks for all the help.  This is the 1st time Ive had to deal with this.  I don't like it!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:19:04 pm »
Terramycin (or Engemycin) foot spray will sort out scald, which is what it sounds like.

If it were true Footrot, it would really stink and tends to be more at the base of the foot, going up into it.  CODD is a nasty foot infection that makes big abscesses where the hoof joins the leg. This would need local and systemic (injected) antibiotics, probably Terramycin for both.

Scald is not very terrible and it will mend quickly. They do make a big fuss mind you  ::)

It's common here, with sheep especially, because it's so wet. You can walk them through a zinc sulphate footbath periodically - or you can just spray their feet when/if they get sore.

Trimming doesn't affect it scald or CODD and opinions vary as to whether it's a help or a hindrance with Footrot.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:52 am »
Ok there is no bad smell so I guess scald is the diagnosis.?.

We gave Terramycin (oxytetracycaline over here LA-200) injection.  I think one more each.  What do you think?

The 2 goats aren't limping much anymore.  But they still aren't right.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 12:02:53 pm »
Used to have terrible trouble when I first moved here.Bought a sack of golden hoof and gave it away four years later as I had only had to use it about twice ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »
Have you treated the actual foot too? Something like either antibiotic spray or copper/zinc sulphate footbath, to kill the bugs on the surface of the skin? I wouldn't give another antibiotic shot until you saw how topical treatment went (excuse me if you've already done this).

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 02:46:14 pm »
Have you treated the actual foot too? Something like either antibiotic spray or copper/zinc sulphate footbath, to kill the bugs on the surface of the skin? I wouldn't give another antibiotic shot until you saw how topical treatment went (excuse me if you've already done this).    Posted by: jinglejoys
   I don't mind being reminded of things I should do.  I like to know what I have already done was appropriate!     I squirted Pennicllin D on the foot twice.   Also have used enough Koppertox to sink a ship!     I am not the most careful person and the green copper is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!  Door knobs, my coat, pants, gloves, sink, under my fingernails, up my nose...I smell and taste it everywhere.  I know I'm not stupid but you wouldn't know it sometimes!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 03:31:23 pm »
Once treated and dry they may well limp for two or more weeks while new skin layers grow out.  Put them back onto fresh grazing if you can, to prevent reinfection.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 04:02:10 pm »
Lol on the green everywhere.

I always seem to need to spray feet - turquoise Terramycin spray - just before I have to be somewere smart. I clean up reasonably but then there are these grufted, stained hands sticking out from my sleeves  ::) I've developed a way of holding them that tucks in my fingers and thumbs to hide the worst  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS