Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: IP injection questions for cold lamb  (Read 3126 times)

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
IP injection questions for cold lamb
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:56 pm »
Hiya, I've got a cold lamb, not holding it's head up.  Following instruction in the amazing Tim Tyne book, I injected 40ml of 20% glucose solution (which I mixed up from powder and boiled water).  Only thing is I used a 17 x 3/4" needle not a 19 x 1" as I didn't have any.

Will this stop it working?  Lamb is currently in hot box and we are 15mins post injection.  No signs of improvement.  What do I do if he doesn't warm up?

Assuming he does pull through, can I put him back to the ewe?

:fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: IP injection questions for cold lamb
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:21 pm »
If he pulls through, yes put him back to mum, but keep an eye on her in case she rejects him.  And make sure he suckles, of course.

I am not experienced with injecting glucose, hopefully someone who is will be along soon to advise you on whether the shorter needle will have delivered the solution to where it's needed. 

My usual cold lamb solutions may not be a good idea along with the IP glucose, so I won't make any other suggestions apart from keeping him warm, which you are already doing.

:fc: for the little guy.  They can make amazing recoveries, hope he's one of them. :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:16:21 pm »
THanks Sally, I've got a little tub of Collate Lamb kick start as well (more expensive than gold) which I was planning to give once he can hold his head up.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »
I had an orphan lamb that got a bit cold on the way home the other day, put him under the heat lamp and gave him some collate collostrum (the 10 sachets that come in the box) and it did wonders :)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:37 pm »
  Only thing is I used a 17 x 3/4" needle not a 19 x 1" as I didn't have any.

:fc:

It should be OK providing
a) you pushed the needle in as far as it would go
b) you were holding the lamb correctly
c) you were pointing the needle in the right direction.

Also, if you mixed it up using powdered gucose, are you sure you had the concentration right? If you buy glucose solution from the vet it is 40% solution, so you dilute it 50:50 with boiled water and it's ok.

Agree - fingers crossed.
If he wasn't strong enough to hold up his head then there's nothing else you could have done anyway.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:21:00 pm by VSS »
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 02:15:41 am »
Thanks VSS,

Did it exactly as in your (bloody good) book, and needle was in up to the hilt.  He didn't wee copiously though.

Re mixture, I googled how much powder would make a 20% solution and made 50ml (maths was easier) and injected 40.

He's definitely warmed up and holding his head up again now, so tubed some milk and will do again in a few hours.  Think he may just be a poor doer.

Thanks all for the help!

SB

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 10:30:20 am »
Oh, that's great news SB - well done!   :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:07:34 am »
I'm a big fan of the rectal thermometer when it comes to lambing.  If the lamb is too cold and born more than six hours before it'll have used most of its store of brown fat to keep warm and need a source of energy before actually being warmed up.  A very small lamb or one with a first timer that is too keen on licking off her lamb to stay still long enough for it to suckle gets put into a jacket made from a rectangle of old fleece bodywarmer with two slits cut near the front for the legs to go through.  Helping the lamb to retain its own body warmth makes a huge difference to little 'uns born on a freezing night.  They don't have to be dry before you put the jacket on (think of yourself stepping out of the bath!)  It can be removed as soon as the lamb is suckling regularly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS