Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ducklings bedtime  (Read 2776 times)

poppy

• Joined May 2009
ducklings bedtime
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:58:22 am »
Hello all,

My 3 week old ducklings have spent the last 3 nights outside in their duck house. Is it essential that they have access to food and water through the night? I ask this because they are getting their bed very wet through the night even though I sit the drinker on an tray with mesh on to catch the spills. They must have a right ball in there after I've shut them up!!! There's only 3 of them!

Any suggestions welcomed?

Poppy  :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: ducklings bedtime
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:33:11 am »
I'm afraid your ducklings, just like everyone else ducklings, are messy wee buggers. I am sure I have read that they must have access to food and water at all times so you will just have to put up with the mess. And, to give you something to look forward to when they get bigger nothing really changes ha ha ha. Enjoy this time with them as they grow soooooooo fast. :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:46:14 am »
My ducks don't have access to food or water during the night. they have a real good feed before they go to bed and first thing in the morning they enjoy a good drink. The only time there was food and water in the night quarters was when we had a broody duck, but she didn't even take it. Never caused any problems with my birds, not even when the nights are long during the winter when wild green food and insects/slugs are scarce. I'm always surprised that they seem to make the same mess even now they spend so much less time in there! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:54 pm »
My ducks won't go inside just now so I have to leave the pop hole open, and I don't even know if they go inside at all except to lay, so can drink iof they want to.  But in winter they are shut in and don't have food or water all night.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:32:49 am »
I am still putting Lilly and Charlie (Ducks) in a run at night as I saw they were setling in the garden and I did not want them exposed to predators, although my garden is fairly safe with a high wall all around, I am also trying to handle them a bit to get them used to me, they are really sweet, I read that farmers years ago used to take them to bed to keep the farmers warm, not quite into that as I gt a bit too hot in the night but, how sweet, brings a whole different conception of an eiderdown.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:54:54 pm »
I rather think Steve might object to two ducks in bed!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 01:17:42 pm »
Steve can have the new shed!!!! ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:25:58 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS