Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs for pigs  (Read 5748 times)

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
Eggs for pigs
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:39:20 am »
Is the feeding of eggs to pigs prohibited? I don't mean your leftover breakfast but eggs taken straight from the henhouse and mixed into pig food?
 Before I confess to a crime, I imagine eggs are a valuable source of protein for pigs and keeping a couple of extra hens to help feed the pigs would be good husbandry.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Eggs for pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:44:40 am »
That was suggested to me by the breeder who sold us our last weaners. I have since added an egg to the water and veg that was mixed with their nuts in a trough.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:45:49 pm »
That sounds like a great idea. I'll try it.
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »
This is illegal, and comes under the Animal By products regulations 2005.

It takes a bit of explaining, as you're allowed to feed some products containing eggs !

EU regulation 1069/2009 defines categories of animal by-product material - Article 10 defines category 3 materials which include under subsection k (ii)
“the following material originating from animals which did not show any signs of disease communicable through that material to humans or animals:
(ii) the following originating from terrestrial animals:
hatchery by-products, —
eggs, —
egg by-products, including egg shells...

So eggs are a Category 3 Animal by Product

Under The Animals By products regulations Part 3 section 9 (2)
“It is an offence to feed to any ruminant animal, pig or bird any other animal by-product
(unless it has been processed in accordance with the Community Regulation) other than—
(a) liquid milk or colostrum used on the farm of origin; or
(b) in accordance with Article 23(2) of the Community Regulation as applied by regulation
26(3) of these Regulations.”

The (b) relates mainly to feeding zoo animals and packs of hounds.

However the feeding of some foodstuffs containing eggs (as long as not from a kitchen or restaurant, as this come under catering waste) is allowed as long as they have been in an approved processing plant, or in a food manufacturers – in both cases they will have been treated to remove risk (ie cooked/heated!).  If at a food factory they would need to have been treated in accordance with Regulation (EC) No.853/2004 (Food Hygiene Regulation). They cannot be sourced from a kitchen or from a retail or supermarket store.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:34:07 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:46:04 pm »
So a boiled egg would be okay so long as it was boiled in "an approved processing plant, or in a food manufacturers" and not on a stove in your garden.
[/size]

pheonix

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:04:02 pm »
last year there was a thread on this. i think eggs cant be the main ingredient in their feed but you can feed them in pancake mix etc as flour/milk is the main ingredients, but then you need a license to mix feed.........

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 07:01:35 pm »
So a boiled egg would be okay so long as it was boiled in "an approved processing plant, or in a food manufacturers" and not on a stove in your garden.

Yes ! The thought behind it being that those plants must both have haccp procedures in place, and have approved equipment, records of temperatures etc.

Sorry, sounds  a bit like I'm trying to justify these rules, I'm not - they are made by people in offices who have never been near a farm nor do they understand risk management - only trying to state the rules !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:04:19 pm »
Hm  :-\  so, if my OH's free-range hens decide to lay an egg in a food trough in my KKs "maternity wing", without my knowledge, & one of my sows eat it ...???
So who's breaking the regs?  My OH for letting her chooks get into my sows or me for "allowing" them to eat the egg?
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 09:46:33 pm »
I doubt anything sitting in a pigs feed trough will have time to lay anything before it gets eaten  :-J
Ian

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:51:10 pm »
I doubt anything sitting in a pigs feed trough will have time to lay anything before it gets eaten  :-J
Nah ... Kunekune & poultry live in perfick harmony here  :eyelashes:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:31 pm »
Hm  :-\  so, if my OH's free-range hens decide to lay an egg in a food trough in my KKs "maternity wing", without my knowledge, & one of my sows eat it ... ???
So who's breaking the regs?  My OH for letting her chooks get into my sows or me for "allowing" them to eat the egg?

Sorry, but they've got you there as well - Section 11(5) states

(5) It is an offence for any person to allow livestock to have access to any catering waste or other animal by-product except....

Now which one of you would get done......?   :)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS