Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: border terrier puppies  (Read 7181 times)

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
border terrier puppies
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:47:12 pm »
hey
 does any one breed or know any one that breeds border terriers?  we are looking to get a pup April May time at the earliest. preferably in Aberdeenshire or Fife/Angus. we have a few names but getting people's recommendations is always better

cheers

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: border terrier puppies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:00 am »
I have a friend in Fife who has borders so will ask her.  We have one of similar breeding to hers and had a litter a couple of years ago, and kept one back.  Both dogs are fantastic!

Helen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:55 am »
That's what we're having next time - our friends have one and she's a cracking wee dog. But no vacancies yet or, hopefully, for a long time yet  :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:33:21 pm »
Do ask about hip scores tho - we were always told Border Terriers dont get hip dysplasia and so arent hip scored - we ended up with a wee Border bitch very lame at 6 months old and hey presto - x rays showed very bad HD, virtually no socket. It can happen in Border Ts!

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:24 pm »
my parents have a little bitch but at 6.5 to old for a 1st litter so back to the drawing board lol although I have not herd of checking for hd in terriers tho. I have the numbers of people in the border terrier club and kennel club so going to phone them.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:23:15 pm »
thank you Helenvf

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:50:39 pm »
I understood that BT's don't require any health tests. Sorry to hear about your bitch.

My friend has contacted the breeder of my older BT, and hers and he knows where there is a litter due in February.  The breeder owns the sire. Do you want the number?

Helen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:46:39 pm »
Kennel Club list - http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/display.aspx?breed=3062&area=1

Miss L Jackson   Beith, Ayrshire   22/10/2012
Mr S & Mrs J Purdie   Stirling, Stirlingshire   11/11/2012
Mr J Nolan   Lanark, Lanarkshire   02/11/2012
Mrs C E Hamilton   Kirknewton, Midlothian   04/11/2012
Mr J Lyon   Biggar, Lanarkshire   03/12/2012
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 07:23:16 pm »
A friend of my daughter's riding teacher has a litter due (8 pups) in two weeks. She's just out of Angus into Perthshire. I've asked for her contact details so if she traps, I'll pass them on to you.

If I thought our two wouldn't eat it, I'd be tempted  :dog:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 08:26:51 pm »
I think they are lovely little dogs and don't seem to have the terrier instinct to fight to the same extent, but they are cat killers so be aware of that.  A friend of mine in Aberdeenshire bred them some years ago, and his four killed their neighbour's cat which had jumped over the fence.  Tore it to bits.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:22:00 pm »
think thats a bit of a generalisation! Ive known 4 well and none of them have been remotely interested in cats, other than keeping out the way of the paw swipe they get from the cat if they walk too closely past. They are fine with hens too, the ones Ive known anyway, despite being excellent natural ratters.
So it depends on the dog. Also depends if cat is there already, if so and you get a pup, cat will tell pup its place on the ladder ! Plus any dog breed in a pack of 4 is more likely to cause mischief than a singleton.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:13 pm »
Hey guys I have spoke to a lady who's birch is due end of February and the pups r ready to leave on my birthday, I think that's just fate also that's when we would b ready for a pup. also my parents border runs with the hens and she is fine one even attacked her for sniffing at the feeder was so funny as she ran to my dad almost like DAD!!!! I get in trouble for that. although she first get anywhere near them when she is in season as she is a hormonal monster haha

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:01 pm »
We have a little kc bitch here that is fantastic with all of the animals inside and out and quite often has a cat Cuddled up to her and is great with our small furries we where told it's because she is all show lines and no working lines in her
Graham

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:33:40 pm »
Yes great little dogs, I have in the past owned and had friends who owned borders probably the most sensitive of the working type terriers but with the right handling and breeding made very good working dogs on vermin. arguably the best terrier for the pet home. Hope you get what you want cheers.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 07:27:38 pm »
My 2 are fine with our cat, and chickens, although they sometimes do like to take their chance and "play" with the chickens!  They know when we aren't looking but they haven't killed any yet.

A groomer friend said that all the dogs she has in, border terriers are the better breed, across the board.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS