Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question re cattle being strip fed beet (I think)  (Read 1708 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Question re cattle being strip fed beet (I think)
« on: February 03, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »
We take the dogs for walks at Tehidy Woods sometimes and have noticed cattle being kept on fields where they are strip feeding on what looks like beet tops.
My query is just out of curiosity - do the cattle eat the beets as well as the tops? I wouldn't have thought that the cattle mouth was equipped to chew into a beet tuber - but surely there would be a massive waste if the beet itself is left in the soil. Or do they come in after the cattle and harvest the beets?
Waiting in anticipation fo rthe rush of mind expanding answers  :excited: :excited:

Tish  :wave:

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Question re cattle being strip fed beet (I think)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:35:57 pm »
I always thought they left the beet to regrow tops and refeed, but then i never really figured out what happened after

Ian

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:25:59 pm »
its likely to be kale. kale has a relatievly small tuber and big top.  but they will eat the tuber too. they can eat turnips etc but really big root veg are best chopped.

strangly enough fodder beet which cattle love, have a leafy top that is poisonous to cattle!

dominic

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:56:29 pm »
Like humans and potatoes/rhubarb I guess!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:53:58 pm »
Grazing For Regrowth
[/size]How hard you graze the tyfon before removing lambs will decide whether or not you will get another grazing. It’s important to leave several inches of top after each grazing if want regrowth. Grazing down into the tyfon bulb will affect regrowth. Typically, you can expect two or three rotations over six to seven weeks before the bulb is grazed out.
[/size]from an Irish study
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS