Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Forgot what 'A hard days work' meant...  (Read 7723 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Forgot what 'A hard days work' meant...
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:45:33 pm »
As some of you may know I'm recently retired from the IT industry to pursue a more stress-free and relaxed life at the ripe old age of 27. As a contractor I wortended to work a solid 6-9 months on a big project and then there'd be a dry spell for 3-6 months during which I'd turn my hand to a bit of building, work in a garage, as a courier and even a stint as a 'bouncer' but never have I had to work as hard as I did today. I set out to turn the 'new' veg patch (as the other one's too full of mulch) with the rotorvator so I can get my early spuds in next week. I pulled the trusty mountfield (circa 300BC) from the back of the stable and stupidly decided 'itll be fine!' and dragged it down to my new potato plot without seeing if it'd start!
Not one to give up I marked out my 30X20ft patch with canes and set about lifting the turf using various combinations of spade/fork/rake/brute force/ignorance.
Lots of swearing and sweating later I had a nice patch of bare soil to turn. Now I DID have a nice 'man-size' fork until my dad kindly borrowed it (totally without my knowledge too!) but now I only have the slightly smaller 'Ladies-Size' (how very un-PC of me. Sorry) which made things all the more time-consuming. Several hours and a huge blister later I had a plot that was ready to plant but NO LIGHT! GRRRRR!

I think I did well though, while I was doing this I was also baby-sitting and keeping an eye on our minature yorkies (One of which has developed a taste for worms YUK!)

What a bloody hard days work. I also used some old bits of fence to make a planter for my grape vines (hmm, not sure they'll be very productive but gonna give them a chance anyway) cut half an acre of 'lawn' and burned some rubbish so feeling like I've achieved something.

rustyme

Re: Forgot what 'A hard days work' meant...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:06:49 am »
well done and hello ,
                         another nutter !!! nice to know I am not the only one ;) ;D ;D.
              I am far to old and have to many broken bones to attempt that amount in a day . I spread my work out over a much longer period.  If you can move to get out of bed tomorrow ? you will feel really proud of yourself when you see all the work you have achieved. Then you will bend over to pick something up and think what the ******* **** was I thinking doing all that lot ...as the pain shoots right up your back ....hehehe.......no, well done really , it does make you feel good to get it done. Just the other one to do now ???

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:24:05 am »
What a hero! I hope you're able to walk today - a combination of frozen peas, Ralgex, paracetamol, ibuprofen and alcohol should see you right.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:15:50 pm »
wow - good going , you certainly sound as much of a nutter as the rest of us!! - enjoy the aching muscles and lack of proper mobility for the next few days :Dlol - glad to hear someone is almost as disorganised as me in relation to checking they have all the tools for the job before commencing!! it will be worth it when you get those first spuds in next week ( i wish my dogs tastes were limited to only worms though urgh!)
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:27:54 am »
I tell you one thing, its far more rewarding (and cheaper) than going to the gym and I didn't feel all that bad. A few twinges in my back but nothing I didn't get from lugging 90kg servers into their racks. I guess its a different kind of exercise though, more slow and steady and I DID find a few muscles I didn't know I had LOL!

Most importantly the wife came and had a look yesterday and took back all her moaning about me spending time in the garden. Apparently I WAS doing something productive after all  ::)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:49:54 am »
lol keep up the good work,
Nice to see a 'youngsters' amoust the ranks
Nice to think another generation has taken up the challenge i was starting to think that not many people of the 20's where not interested in gardening.

Or maybe it's just the IT industry that make people think about gardenning lol

Linz

rustyme

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:21:21 pm »
only a few twinges...? now go on tell the truth, you wear blue tights and your underpants on the outside,  and you live in Smallville !!! ;D     Just mind you don't dig up any Kryptonite in the garden  ;) Oh and ....keep an eye out for Lex Luther too , I heard he is around again.... :o :o
      I remember the time when I could do things like that in a day.....before thee were born lad.....(the sound of the hovis music plays gently in the background)...er no.... done that bit before...
      My dogs go for STUFF other than worms too ...dirty boys ..dirty boys...

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »
Nah... Like I said I'm no stranger to lifting, this was just a different use of my muscles. Admittedly my biceps and triceps are feeling like I've spent a solid week in the gym but my back's not much worse than normal. I put it down to having a very good physio [thanks Em :) ] and if I make puppy-dog eyes at the wife (and cook her dinner, wash up and run her a bath) she sometimes gives my back a little rub

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:27:15 pm »
Went a bit mad and ordered most of the offers and freebies from a "Grow Your Own" mag this week... hopefully I'll have plenty to keep me busy when everything eventually arrives.

Plenty of fruit, veg and butterfly/predator attracting flowers plus some lillies and roses for my wife (I'd just love to be able to give her flowers every single day!)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:49:49 pm »
lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS