Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 3 weeks to go - feeding question  (Read 1958 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
3 weeks to go - feeding question
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:14 am »
I have about 3 weeks till kidding starts with my cashmere x boers.  I have just frightened myself by reading the info on vitamins and minerals needed in late pregnancy on the Caprivite website http://gnltd.co.uk/vitamins-minerals-for-goats and wondered what everyone does?

I am feeding about 3/400g per goat per day (and I try to let them all eat, not just the bullies!), divided into 2 feeds plus hay is always available and they also like to graze on the wheat straw when I bed them down.  They have a salt lick and yesterday I put a molassed cattle mineral lick in with them.

This week they have suddenly gone a bit crazy and are fighting - I have had to pen one of the normally docile older does as she is cruising for a bruising!  I wonder if they are bored - I did ring the vet to see if it could be a mineral deficiency but she was perplexed too.  I will give them some branches today.  They are in a big airy barn (got a bit snowed on last week, but OK now)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 3 weeks to go - feeding question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »
I would up their feed a bit more, if you can add in a further 200g with a third feed, not necessarily protein, but sugar beet shreds and some mix maybe. Mine get Caprivite once a week as a routine, and they will get Adam Henson drench about 6 weeks before they are due. But I wouldn't get hang up about it, lots of exercise and see if they are hungry for another feed. 

Mine have got yellow rockies, and get periodically more keen on them than at other times...

But mine are fed individually in the last 6 weeks, feed goes up every week and I can see if they finish it quickly or (as happpened last year) become really fussy eaters...

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:35:51 pm »
I have 12 in the barn and can't feed individually unless they are penned - they are not milkers and semi-feral cashmeres, so always a battle to catch them! I always plan on training them to go to their own bucket - some hope...

Last year I managed to get a hurdle system dividing the long feeders hanging on gates which sort of stopped the bashing.  I'm going to get that done today/tomorrow I think.

They've been in since Dec - too wet here to let them out - and I would be hesitant about re-introducing a worm burden this close to kidding. They'll go out in the day a month or so after kidding.

Anke - so Caprivite is just fed weekly?  And is it OK to have a mineral lick in with them too?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:50:06 pm »

Anke - so Caprivite is just fed weekly?  And is it OK to have a mineral lick in with them too?

I have found that once a week is probably enough, given that they als get goat mix. They will only eat the lick if the need it, so I have got mine in permanently.

I have to say that mine are quite fed up being cooped up too, they have been inside since October... especially the kids

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »
Having read the previous post about poor Cloud, I am now worried about this topic. This is my first time kidding and I have no idea if feeding enough or too much. They all look healthy and not overly big. They get a child's beaker full each twice a day which is about 6oz in each I think.  Is this ok or too much?

I have 3 weeks before the first one is due. They all share feeder and get a mix of oats, coarse mix, calf grower nuts and beef pellets plus some chaff and soaked sugarbeet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:29 pm »
I think it a similar situation as in sheep - if you know how many they are carrying it is easier to feed for that. But I have had pregnancy toxeamia badly in the past, and now feed very little (as in tiny amount of sugar beet shreds and carrots/apples - NO concentrates of any kind) until the last 6 - 8 weeks. Then I start to slowly re-introduce concentrate, but not overly high on proteins. In the last week prior to kidding they are on near milking rations divided into at least three meals per day and feed individually.... Now all this is probably slightly over the top. Most dairy goatkeepers will be feeding around a 1kg at least per day just prior to kidding.

If you can feed individually it helps a lot because you can spot pregnancy toxaemia easily. I personally would feed a bit more to the ones hat only have three weeks to go, but maybe introduce a third meal?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS