Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Condition scoring  (Read 6914 times)

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
Re: Condition scoring
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 11:08:09 pm »
InTheHills, for condition scoring for Soays I second what Fleecewife says - I've never felt one that had reached 3 on the conventional scoring system. Even the one that was a handreared orphan who at times looks like a barrel you can still feel all the bones in her spine very clearly.

I generally check their condition by eye. Look for the hip bones becoming prominent and also their stance. If they are losing condition they tend to stand with their back arched and their back legs bent and 'tucked under' a bit. Take particular care with any with particularly thick fleeces, they do vary quite a bit, as they can look in better condition than they are. Picking them up is a good test - especially for lambs.

At this time of year we feed mainly ad-lib hay with a small quantity of ewe nuts and we also have mineral licks out. We don't lamb until April-May  (:sunshine:)so by the time they are approaching lambing the grass is ususally taking over from the hay. We increase the ration of nuts a bit but nowhere near what the books recommend for a 'standard' flock. Do take care not to overfeed, as the lambs can get to a size where the ewes struggle to get them out. If you get the balance right you will rarely have to help at all.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Condition scoring
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 10:23:09 am »
Thanks all.  Have already had a few attempts using methods given.  Can feel the bones in their spine but no more than I can when they are on good grass in the height of summer so I am going to assume that this must be how Soay are and just use this as a guide rather than the conventional scoring system.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS