Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many eggs?  (Read 10353 times)

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: How many eggs?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 05:06:44 pm »
I appreciate that some of you may live abroad and these rules may or may not apply there but there are many Brits, mostly new to pigs, logging on all the time and if they do not realise that some of you are based in France, Ireland or elsewhere and read these threads, they may well believe that it is perfectly acceptable/legal to follow your advice. The net result may be a court appearance or threats from neighbouring farmers.

It is incumbent on all of us to give good advice to newcomers even if we don't believe in the laws concerned. I feel sure that no one on this Forum wishes to mislead anyone into thinking they can carry out stupid or illegal practices.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 05:08:59 pm »
Mr Pig, I appreciate that your posting was kindly meant however you are not really crediting other people with very much common sense.  Anyone owning a pig in UK must have registered with DEFRA who I assume are as vigilant as our own DDSV in sending out reams of paper covering every aspect and do and dont of pig or other animal feeding.  To say nothing of the news covering recent outbreaks of any disease.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 05:10:30 pm »
Dogandjo How do you do that quote thing???

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 05:25:20 pm »
HM when you do a reply,look to the left right of the page next to the person you want to quote.There's a "Insert quote" button highlighted in blue. Hit that,then you can delete out what you don't want.

Have just looked at the Member Map,and just from the members that have taken the time to put a pin on it,there's members from Australia,NZ,the States and Littlepigfarm appears to be on a raft 800 odd miles north of Finland! No-one can be expected to know all the rules and regs of all the countries of the members,only quote what we know to be true in our own country.  ;D  (body-language is all non-aggressive,and even slightly sultry!)

***Ree edits cos he can't tell up from down
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:14:52 pm by MrRee »
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 06:27:22 pm »
You don't know you're left from your right! ;D ;D  It's on the right hand side.  But I don't use that.  That copies the whole entry.  I highlight the bit I want to quote and do a Ctrl C, then click on the icon at the top, next to the list icon, then do a Ctrl V
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 06:58:44 am »
Thanks both.  Will try that next time.

Also please and this is a genuine question not meant to wind anyone up -

Please can anyone tell me how chicken eggs can carry foot and mouth? 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 08:57:25 am »
they can't. but as the rules are there to prevent  feeding the pigs meat they can only word it in a certain way if they exempted animal products of one kind someone would stretch it until they were feeding something unpleasant to them.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 09:26:23 am »
I am not sure that that is the case. The relevant wording from the Defra publications is:

Eggs and egg-based products - Prohibited

Finished foods containing eggs, rennet or melted fat but where these are not the main ingredient—i.e. biscuits, bread, cakes, chocolate, pastry, sweets etc. - Prohibited from kitchens but acceptable from premises that do not handle meats or which have HACCP procedures in place to prevent cross-contamination.

Finished foods containing eggs where these are the main ingredient—i.e. quiche etc. - Prohibited.

These regulations relate not only to FMD and it may be that the restrictions on eggs is more to do with e-coli than FMD. However, it is clear that eggs are not just tied up with meats because they cannot be seperated by definition.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 02:38:30 pm »
i bow to mr pigs reading of the rules.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 08:27:59 pm »
So the question remains - do eggs carry F & M?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 08:39:57 pm »
Q. Can poultry or eggs carry the FMD virus?

A. No, eggs and poultry are not a risk for carrying the FMD virus.

Taken from US Department of Agriculture, APHIS, Veterinary Services. "Biosecurity on the Farm:Preventing Foot and Mouth and Other Diseases"
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 10:41:54 pm »
So the next question is ..............  Why do DEFRA think eggs ARE a risk?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 09:27:31 am »
anything to do with eggwina curry and her concerns of years back. on a separate note i was visited by the animal health bod wanting to check our pigs yesterday. he was very unhappy because we have none at the moment. if he was to have phoned he would have saved himself a trip of 70 miles. two inspections in a year. so be warned if they find kitchen waste in the pig pen your in trouble.

tandb

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 04:48:28 pm »
Feeding of eggs to pigs is illigal in any part of europe, check defra site.
We live in France and I checked with dept of agricol inspector during her visit here couple of weeks ago, she asked 'are you wanting to cause / spread diseases'
Also check out what Tony York at Pigs Paradise says.....eggs in any form is a NO NO.
Just received pages of disease related stuff in post today...don't want anything else to have them worry us about.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 06:58:15 pm »
I do understand the rules BUT a local very large commercial elevage near us has a contract with the local biscuiterie to take all their waste biscuits and cakes. 

My own MSA rep says its ok and that its ok to feed eggs.  I dont understand why if eggs dont carry F&M which seems to be the big fear, why its ok to feed soft boiled or fried and runny to children and yet not to feed hard boiled to pigs. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS