Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pecking order  (Read 3001 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Pecking order
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:03:58 pm »
I feed the 7 pygmy goats around about 5.00pm in the evening's. The youngest 2 are just a year old and very small in comparison to the others. So, for that reason I alway feed these 2 separate from the others (or the adults would eat everything). In the mornings I let the bigger ones out and feed the 2 smaller ones in their shed and at night vice versa. Well, the last few nights as I put the bowls down for the bigger ones 3 of the chooks take themselves in the shed and actually chase the goats away from one of the bowls so they can eat! It is comical cos I'm sure you all know how greedy goats are but yet they let these hens rule the roost so to speak. Tonight I closed the door so the 3 hens could not get in and if looks could kill...

sandy

Re: Pecking order
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:44:28 am »
i was told once that dogs could not distinguise size, I wounder if that is true of other animals, your goats would crush any hensbut they choose to be scared, strange/ How many  BIG dogs are afraid of tiny ones? nature is funny and the cycle of life continues. I think we should all watch chicken run again!!!!! They certainly have loads of expressions!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:51:13 am »
Some of these chooks are fearless...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:24:25 am »
MY dogs can certainly determine size - who told you that!  Show them two bones adn which one do they go for - the biggest, every time! ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:32:38 am »
That's chickens for you - 2 or 3 of my older hens will go for my dogs if they think that they are stepping out of line! First time one went for my labrador the expression on his face was priceless - he really didn't have a clue how to deal with it, so just sat and looked at me with the triec and tested "Help, please Mum" look!!!!

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 11:06:37 pm »
I help a friend out with hen/pig/dog chores. After a dog walk I feed all the dogs on the lawn at the back door because they make less mess there and the bowls don't skid around on the grass. If the (totally free-range) chooks are within sight they sprint over and get stuck in. My friends two black labs give way completely submissively but my lab & setter stand their ground although they look anxious. So when that happens I have to pick their bowls up and take them inside!

sandy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:14:30 am »
If we have a few dry spells I will open part of the chicken wire to see if the Ex bats want to have a roam, I am sure my Black ROcks will give them a grilling but they will have to sort thngs out!!! I will make sure they are back in thier fenced area before I go in, the funny thing is the DUcks woddle up behind the Black Rocks as if they are "the reinforcements" My Black ROcks do not ee off otherbirds in the garden but I noticed the Ex Bats do...poor mixed up things, one keeps having a little sudden run around the shed even though she can get into an outside run!!!! :chook:[move] :chook:[move][move] :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&>[/move][/move][/move]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS