Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - three GOS/Oxford Sandy and Blacks in South Bucks  (Read 5785 times)

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
Wanted - three GOS/Oxford Sandy and Blacks in South Bucks
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:18:27 am »
Dear All,

Having attended my pig course yesterday, finished building the pig pen and installed the pig arc all I need are some weaners. I am struggling to find anything (with spots) in the South East. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I would like them as soon as poss/early April.

Saw some fabulous 'curly wurly' pigs (as my daughter calls them) yesterday at Tony Yorks place and one sow in pig was sold to Ireland so the Irish will enjoy curly wurlys soon too! a first apparently. (Mangalitsas for those more technical folk).

Anyway, it was a great day and very informative.

Sal
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:40:27 am by sallyw »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Wanted - three GOS/Oxford Sandy and Blacks in South Bucks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:57:32 pm »
Sal really interested in your course, coincidentally was following a topic on another web site.  OH has written a booklet for people who buy their first pigs from us.  It has been muted that we might consider offering courses on pig management.  Dont feel qualified ourselves to offer the best of tuition, would have to take advantage of a more qualified friend.  Wondered how your course went, what did you find best about it, (apart from the curly wurly pigs) and do you feel the course has given you a good foundation for pig keeping.  Hope this enquiry is not too intrusive.

HM

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 07:56:45 pm »
sounds great sallyw - i went to Tonys course myself last year - v. informative and fun -gave us all the info. we needed to set ourselves going with confidence :)

relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:10:58 pm »
No not all. I did the Pig Paradise course which seems to be fairly well known and is well established. The day was a mix of spending time with a variety of pigs, some gorgeous, some a little daunting - an enormous Tamworth. Then time in the village hall in a classroom sessions.
The different aspects of each breed were outlined both in terms of character and tastiness. The basic essentials, housing etc. Lots of detail and lots of anecdotes which gave a real feel about keeping pigs.
We had a fabulous roast lunch which sold us on the product (as if we needed to be sold to on that score!) We had a lengthy session in the afternoon dealing with health and ailments. We then fed and watered the pigs, wormed piglets (my nine year old shamed me by injecting an ancient and enormous boar) so I mustered up the courage to inject a piglet (so brave!) We were shown how to check their basic health. Lots on feeding and nutrition. The main slot was how to market and manage pigs in a cost effective way. That was very telling and interesting.

The best bit of the course was actually meeting other keepers/potential keepers, sharing experiences and aspirations and contacts. Some moving to France, some about to 'give it all up' and head for a smallholding, others who collected toy pigs and just had an interest. all lovely and interesting.

A very slick production and clearly a money spinner but that doesn't degrade the value in any way. It genuinely will help me avoid mistakes, save money and enjoy the pigs and hopefully will help to ensure that the pigs enjoy living with us too. Definately worth doing.

I just need the pigs now ;D

Sal

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 07:57:16 am »
Thanks Sally.  Have you tried the BPA website home page, search for pigs?  Or contact the BPA direct to ask them if they know of any breeders in your area.  Best of luck with your new pigs when they arrive, I am sure they will have a great life, giving you lots of fun and great pork.  Hopefully we can follow your experiences through TAS.

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 05:31:23 pm »
I have found them and they moving in on Good Friday - Hurrar! Three boars (hope i have done the right thing there) - lots of spots and ample character. Can't wait. I am looking forward to it more than the children!

Something random to make you smile - we have had our chickens now for a couple of weeks - no eggs yet. My five year old (middle one of five) said "No eggs yet Mum but Thomas, well I saw him squatting down and a little head popped out, but it went back in again because it was cold. i think he will have one soon". Where do I start???? I left it with a "Never mind dear - I am sure it will lay an egg soon..."lol ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:07:30 pm »
Congratulations on the pigs, the children sound adorable too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS