Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: generational "interbreeding"  (Read 2437 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
generational "interbreeding"
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:47:10 pm »
Next week I'll pick up our new generation of ducklings which James incubated and raised from our eggs. I wondered about the interbreeding issue. The "dad" to daughter thing just makes me uncomfortable. How do others deal with that? Do you care?
Maybe someone would be happy to swap a drake (or even 2 for 1, lol)? I can send pics of ours if anyone would consider it. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: generational "interbreeding"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:55:38 pm »
Kerstin the first 2 eggs I hatched were from my own ducks and both chicks were perfectly normal. At the time I never really thought about it but would not do it again as I have different breeds of ducks living together now. As I said I always buy off e bay and have always been delighted by the eggs off there.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 12:07:07 am »
As you know, James, the breed issue does not bother me much, as I'm not interested to "show" my birds. It's more the incest that doesn't seem right, now that we will get more girls and probably boys, too! The first time round with the natural incubation and 2 boys I wasn't thinking about the new duck much in that respect, the odds are 50/50, but maybe it was her eggs that weren't fertile? It's a lot of speculation in our minds here...:&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 04:30:10 pm »
I can take some KC eggs with me tomorrow if you want them, Kerstin? James can hatch them for you and I can have a couple of females from you in return sometime if you want.  My drake is totally unrelated to my three girls, but one of them is the mother of the other two.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 11:29:00 pm »
Thanks, Annie, for the offer, I don't know if we can accommodate more wee ones this year! I'd have your drake, if you have 1 or 2 of mine, lol. Maybe next year, we'll see how it goes. Enjoy the outing to Guardbridge! :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS