Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I need help with a website to swap and barter agricultural goods...  (Read 3252 times)

mirefoot

• Joined Jun 2009
    • Farmer's Barter
I have spent ages setting up a website called Farmer's Barter and I desperately need some help!

I have spent so much time on it and now need fresh faces to tell me what is wrong!

I need as many people as possible to use the site and feed back comments so that I can finish it in time for the harvest this summer.

There are 3 dummy listings on the site today but I need people to take a good look, list items themselves and see what they think.

I will remove any listings you wish and memberships of the site whenever you need me to do so, however the site should allow you to di all those functions yourself.

If this is not the right place to put this posting, please would an administrator move it to the correct thread.

Thank you all for your help.
CLA member and Country Smallholding Magazine Reader.
Farmer's Barter

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: I need help with a website to swap and barter agricultural goods...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:30:14 pm »
Hi and welcome. ;D just had a look I think its a great idea and cant see any problems with it! good luck!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:26:46 pm »
just had a two min play and it looks all okay :)

The only thing i would say is i can see contact details without logging in, That the only thing i can see which i would like changed

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:34:49 pm »
I spy a Joomla! website  ;D

Will get around to browsing when I'm feeling better.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:01:27 pm »
Can you explain what you mean by commercial? does that mean no money or no businesses?
Ian

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:54:34 pm »
His FAQ states..

"Is cash or money banned?

No. But....

This is a site for small holders and farmers and is not for large commercial enterprises such as tractor dealers or feed and grain sellers to promote their goods. All users of the site are invited to report any overtly commercial practices to the administrators so that those suspect listings can be checked and removed if necessary."

(I corrected the typing a little bit...)

So I'd assume cash can be part or all of an equation as long as it's within the spirit of the site.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:55:25 pm »
I think it looks great, and it is high time the whole World got back to bartering!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »
I think this could be a tricky site to actually make it work. on the one hand you will have established smallholder farmers with loads of kit, livestock availiable, against someone whos just starting up who needs everything, what will they have to barter?  think distance will also be a major factor. wish you well hope you take this as constructive criticism..................neil

mirefoot

• Joined Jun 2009
    • Farmer's Barter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:20:55 pm »
Thank you all for your comments.

It would have been very strict to restrict the site to no cash at all hence the self policing in this regard. I think that the comment about contact details is probably correct but on the other hand I am wary of making it too difficult to use. After all no one has too much time to spend using yet another web site.  There is enough paper work to consider just day to day.

My simple example of commercial might be a John Deere Dealer trying to pass off a brand new tractor for a purely financial transaction. The Dealer might consider letting the same tractor go with a requirement for the new owner to do some demo work during the silage making and during harvesting on behalf of future customers with a cash transaction as well.

I am hoping that as the site becomes well known, as more and more people upload their produce that geographically everyone will find a new neighbour with which to trade.

I think small holders in particular will get benefit as their learning curve is tremendously steep and the over production of all sorts of produce can cause a real headache at harvest time. What on earth can one do with 2 hundred weight of red radishes after all?

CLA member and Country Smallholding Magazine Reader.
Farmer's Barter

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS