Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Snow and wildlife  (Read 2289 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Snow and wildlife
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:50:25 pm »
Got a little kestrel yesterday falling about yesterday and it got stuck in the mud, picked it up - as light as a piece of paper - put it in a quiet dark spot with hay bed and no fussing and called the sspca who came quickly but it had died poor wee thing.  :-\

Remember birds of prey find it difficult to find food when it snows and we were once told when we found a starved barn owl in our granary that it's good to put out cat or dog food where they can see it but you won't attract rats (so high up) and it helps them from starving.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Snow and wildlife
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:00 pm »
But as far as I know owls hunt by hearing their prey (usually mice) shufffling about and won't eat anything that doesn't move? That's why owls that have been raised in captivity are impossible to let out into the wild - they have never learnt to hunt???

Unfortunately around here anything that I would put out would be eaten by the resident (as in next doors chimney!) crows/jackdaws... They also eat a good part of my chicken food...

Saw an owl swooping about this morning while coming back from milking...

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »
It's been so mild and snow-free so far here, I doubt birds of prey would be in danger of starving just yet. But I often put out cat food - stuff that my sometimes fussy cat won't eat - and it's usually neighbourhood cats that clean it up (I think some of them are freerange, actually...) - and sometimes I see birds like blackbirds pecking at it, too!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:11:31 pm »
Think you're right Anke but I would imagine they might tackle anything if starving (a bit like our children).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS