Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slaughterhouse in North Wales area  (Read 12604 times)

chongo

• Joined Jul 2011
Slaughterhouse in North Wales area
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:40:26 pm »
Hi, does anybody have any suggestions for a good slaughterhouse in the N Wales area? Also any rough guide in price for kill and butcher of a lamb.

Cheers

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Slaughterhouse in North Wales area
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »
We used the butcher in Rhosllanerchrugog (D J Thomas & Sons) last month for our lambs (we live just outside Shrewsbury). They have a separate abattoir just up the road from the shop. It cost us £15 per lamb for kill and cut. I think we paid a couple of £ more to have some of the breast meat minced on top of that.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:13:59 pm »
Hi, does anybody have any suggestions for a good slaughterhouse in the N Wales area? Also any rough guide in price for kill and butcher of a lamb.

Cheers

Few and far between I am afraid  :(
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:54:54 pm »
There's one in Denbigh, at the bottom of the high street. Neighbour took 3 shetlands recently and it was £15 each for kill and cut.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:57:09 pm by kumquat »
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:25 am »
We used Corwen Abatoir last year for our pigs and couldnt have been more impressed with that one experience.  We were first in (which may have made a differernce) - calm, clean straw in pens, out of trailer and stunned within 10 mins.  Be great to hear if you choose somewhere different what you think?  Cheers, Fi

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:38:20 am »
I would use Thomas's as it's nearest to me (I'm also near Shrewsbury), have no experience of them yet though so can't comment!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »
Thomas' for me too, very good for sheep and pigs.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:07:56 pm »
We used Corwen Abatoir last year for our pigs and couldnt have been more impressed with that one experience.  We were first in (which may have made a differernce) - calm, clean straw in pens, out of trailer and stunned within 10 mins.  Be great to hear if you choose somewhere different what you think?  Cheers, Fi

Corwen are very good, really clean and tidy looking on arrival (unlike the one at Denbigh), but I don't think they offer a cutting service. Denbigh will cut and make in to sausages, but I haven't found them to be very reliable or consistent.

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:20:08 pm »
[quote author=VSS link=topic=30454.msg306291#msg306291 date=1358356076
Corwen are very good, really clean and tidy looking on arrival (unlike the one at Denbigh), but I don't think they offer a cutting service. Denbigh will cut and make in to sausages, but I haven't found them to be very reliable or consistent.

Have to agree VSS that Denbigh isn't the tidiest of places but the 3 times I've been they have been good. Fresh straw down and stress free unloading. Its only a 15min journey for us so i can't complain.
I might give Corwen a go and compare next time....Cheers

Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

chongo

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 05:49:19 pm »
Thanks for the replys everybody.  I was thinking of Denbigh until the couple of not so good reviews, has anybody else used Denbigh? Also can anybody confirm if Corwen offers a cutting service?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »

Have to agree VSS that Denbigh isn't the tidiest of places but the 3 times I've been they have been good. Fresh straw down and stress free unloading. Its only a 15min journey for us so i can't complain.

Lucky you - no where less than an hour and twenty from here. One of the main reasons why we generally do home kill.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:26:52 pm »
I dont think Corwen do offer a cutting service (other than halfing the carcus)- but all the local butchers pick up from there and then do the cutting.   I might try cutting it myself next time as we didnt get our butcher to label - so have been playing guess the cut out of the freezer all year!!!!!!  Rhos gets good reviews on all counts, but not used myself.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 02:28:07 pm »
We take ours to Jones' in Wrexham (on the mold road) I have had mixed reviews about them but they have always been good with us we have sent cattle, sheep and pigs over the past 6 months. They do, do cutting but we get ours sent back to local farm shop butcher who cuts them up for us - we can go and help to so we are learning butchery skills too. It suits us.

cyril

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:25 pm »
Hi,
i use jones brothers on the mold road wrexham. they are pgi registered. they slaugher & cut up lamb,pigs and cattle and are very reasonable.They also have a nice farm shop and veg shop on site. their no 07868740299. :thumbsup:

Plas Nant

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Conwy
    • Plas Nant Rare Breed Soay Sheep
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 05:40:44 pm »
I've used Conwy Valley Meats in Llanwrst, they cut as well but a little rough at it I thought. Price for slaughter and cuts in a box was £25 for a Soay which seems a little dearer than other people get. I'm considering just having them slaughter and getting my local butcher to cut although altogther that would likely cost a good bit more.
North Wales based breeder and supplier of pedigree, registered Soay sheep. Member of RBST and Soay Sheep Society.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS