Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Years Day Sheep Death  (Read 9866 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: New Years Day Sheep Death
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 07:52:33 pm »
I have a theory, unfortunately I have no hard evidence to back it up.....
Do your sheep have access to the hedges or rougher ground?

I ask because Goose Grass/ Cleavers/ Sticky Willy/ Gallium Aperine grows in such places, hasn't died back completely this year and is one of the highest copper containing plants....

Indeed it is often sold as a supplement for animals as is a good source of copper amongst other things :-\
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 12:16:05 pm »
Thanks CW, there's only gorse in there and they leave that alone and it's very stoney ground otherwise, I'm going to keep them all just now and see how they get on, any further deaths this year and we'll have to move them on.  Apart from the copper thing they are great sheep, very easy to handle friendly pretty wee things.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 12:49:49 pm »
Is there a way to measure their copper levels?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »
Hmmm, that's a good point - I must ask that one, thanks for that.

Sure I must have done an experiment in 5th year chemistry once upon a time ...  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 09:26:30 am »
The vet can get minerals and vitamins, including copper, levels tested in their blood - probably a good idea.  Hopefully it might show up (a) if the remaining sheep have elevated copper levels and (b) if there's anything else odd that could account for unusual metabolism of copper.

One thing worth mentioning is that copper damage in susceptible sheep is cumulative...  builds up over time, so younger sheep could appear fine but problems are building for the future.  Also, I can't remember when you got these sheep goosepimple, but the groundwork for any current problems could have occured before they came to you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:54 am »
Thanks Sally, yes they just came here only 7.5 months ago and both from owners who appeared to be doing it by the book also, would be nice to pass the buck but who knows. Actually come to think this particular ewe had 2 previous owners...? You would think anyone breeding them would be particular considering their history as a breed.

I am aware of the cumulative effect of copper, all the food is below the recommended levels for NRs which they get extremely little of anyway and they have their own specially made tub licks, ground is all below acidity level after re-testing last weekend, so perhaps the only option is a blood test. I have lots of info from the NR Soc so working with that as the manual.  Blood tests are more expense, but it's a responsibility and that ususally involves expense doesn't it.  Think I'll also find out what the average life expectancy is for an NR - I get the feeling it won't be high. 

Vet thinks I should stick to a less complicated breed and RBST said before I got them that they can have problems and can be a bit fragile.  If they can die from the background copper content in dried grass then I assume they a rare for a reason.  Pity, they are very easy otherwise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS