Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting our sheep skins back  (Read 4307 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Getting our sheep skins back
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:34:31 pm »
Hi :wave:
Apologies in advance for my list of questions!
We have 3 of last years lambs going off for slaughter soon and we would love to have the skins tanned.
Now I have read a few threads on here regarding this and have gleaned some info, but wondered if you could all help make things clear in my mind?
Firstly they are Jacob x Dorset and to my inexperienced eye look like lovely fleeces - chocolatey brown with tiny bits of white and a nice texture. So do you think that this cross would make for a good sheepskin?
Then I need to know that we can actually get them to a tanner (We are in North Scotland) and this would probably have to be by post.
I know that I will need paper work to collect them, but not sure what I actually need :dunce:
Also we will need to collect asap after slaughter to get them home and salt them.
We want these skins for ourselves so we are not looking to make any money from them and realise that this may cost as much, if not more than just going out and buying one, but they are our sheep and we would love to have the skins!
Hope you can help :fc:
Many thanks in advance
Pauline

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:04:37 pm by ppd »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Getting our sheep skins back
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:37:18 am »
The usual advice is that the end of November is the last date for getting skins tanned.  After then there is a tendency for the fleece to 'slip' ie come off the skin itself, during tanning.
The thing to do would be to discuss it with your chosen tanner.    Don't forget Skyeskins who just might tan them for you (they mostly do their own plus some local customers)  I don't know what they charge, but posting skins down to Devonia from the north of Scotland and back would make them expensive, so Skyeskins would be worth approaching (mention that their Hebridean tup's breeder recommended them - probably won't make any difference  ;D )

We have not required paperwork to get skins back from the abattoir, just to collect them in tied up black plastic bags.  It is worth discussing this with your usual abattoir, so you have things just right.
Yes, you really need to get the salt on them within 2 hours of slaughter.  Allegedly certain abattoirs will put them in a brine bath for you, but ours certainly doesn't.

Your crossbreeds sound lovely for taking the skins from.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:40:38 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:09:23 am »
November.....I'll never get a Shetland katmoget wether lamb ready to go to the abattoir by November  :-\

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:37:31 am »
When I was enquiring about having skins back at the particular abbatoir I would use (Wrexham), I was told I'd need a license number, this involved me having to contact the AHVLA and get a registration reference number.  I had to complete a Notification of Registration form (AB117) - it's basically registering you as a by-products plant (!).

It all seems a bit over the top for home use but I suppose the abbatoir wants to cover their own backs regarding Defra checks etc.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:26:34 am »
When I was enquiring about having skins back at the particular abbatoir I would use (Wrexham), I was told I'd need a license number, this involved me having to contact the AHVLA and get a registration reference number.  I had to complete a Notification of Registration form (AB117) - it's basically registering you as a by-products plant (!).

Yeah, animal health told me that too (South Wales) ... but I asked the abattoir and they just handed them over, no paperwork required.  Your tannery will probably want something, but I just give them the date and place and CPH number of the abattoir where/when they were killed and that seems to be sufficient.  As long as there is traceability.
Just don't store the skins very long, and keep them away from any places where you store livestock or feed.

Ditto the advice about end November cut off though. Maybe wait until next year - born or shorn in the same year, before Dec I think is the rule, so shear early this year and kill when the wool growth is sufficient for your rug.  You'll get a bigger rug then too.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 12:52:45 pm »
November.....I'll never get a Shetland katmoget wether lamb ready to go to the abattoir by November  :-\

No you won't  :( .  Sometimes breeders are prepared to get fairly tiny carcases just to have the lambskins, or you can do as Foobar suggests and send them off at the usual 16 months once they have regrown a fleece long enough for a rug.  You won't get that baby lamb look though.  With some breeds, if you want a fairly short staple length in your skins, it can be best to send them off a couple of months after shearing - in fact  :idea:  that must be how 'shearling' coats and collars are grown  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:13:24 pm »

It all seems a bit over the top for home use but I suppose the abbatoir wants to cover their own backs regarding Defra checks etc.

If it's the one at Rhos, there's no problem as long as you've got the form and Caernarfon are really good about getting the paperwork done quickly.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:35:19 pm »
Thank you all for your replies :thumbsup:
These are nice chunky lambs and we will be putting them off over the next few weeks, so looks like we will not bother with getting the skins tanned :(
But on the plus side we will have a freezer full of lovely lamb :thumbsup:
We raised two pigs last year for meat and these will be our first lambs - hope they taste as good as the pigs :fc: :fc:
Attatched is one of the lambs not long after we got them - cute or what ;D
Thank again :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pauline

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:22:30 pm »
Ah, very cute  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS