Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and electric fencing  (Read 2916 times)

Ann and Rob

• Joined Jan 2012
Pigs and electric fencing
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:49:29 pm »
Advice Needed .....
Need to separate our weaners and 1 year old gilt so want to put up some electric fencing.  What wire is the most effective? Plain or polywire and what is the best energizer to get for a 12 volt battery? Also do pigs respect electric fencing?
Ann and Rob

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Pigs and electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:20:39 pm »
The white (easier seen by the pigs than green) nylon tape with 2 or 3 strands of metal running through it (not 1 strand) is best.

We use energiser like this one:
http://www.farmcareuk.com/index.php?section=shop&action=prod&c=0&p=326

It works very well. There are lots of topics on this forum already about the height of the strands etc to help you.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:24:23 pm »
We use poly-rope with 6 strands of stainless woven into it.

Pigs certainly do respect electric fencing - once they know about it - you have to train them, some people apply peanut butter to the strands to get them accostomed to the fence.

Choose a good quality energiser - not a cheap import, that way it will last for years.

I know an online store which has a good discount on all its energisers at the moment  ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:44:20 pm »
Be aware that if they're not used to it pigs might charge through it the first time they get a shock. They are strong animals and can destroy your set up in seconds if this happens. It's best to train them using an electric fence within a physical barrier like stock fencing. Once trained to it it is a very effective means of keeping pigs where you want them. Go for a quality recognised make of energiser and it'll last you for years. Our Rutland has been in constant use for three years now without any problems.

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:33:01 pm »
I always put up some meters of fencing tape and a couple of the blue posts inside their pen in the shed after weaning. They start chewing on the wire while I am still connecting it...or just run through.
Two days of noisy learning, then they are usually trained enough to go out in the field.
And there is only the electric fence, maybe a dyke or stockfence miles away.

And yes, Tape does get seen a lot easier by the piggies, specially when the bottom one of the two lines I put up for them, is tape. Also I find it easier to see from a distance if the fence is buried in turned over soil, than if it was just wire.
 Plus, Tape seems a bit more elastic than wire or poly, when the wind or pigs get hold of it....

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:55:40 pm »
On top of the 4 strands of polywire we used that sort of fencing you see on snow slopes (sorry don't know what you call it) that is either green or orange.  We put it behind the electric and it worked a treat.   We had a new set of weaners once, they hadn't been outdoors and completely freaked out in the paddock. They ran through the electric but then stopped at this net fencing stuff, stood still for bit, then ran through the fencing again back into the paddock. 

Having said this, if you are separating a sow from her litter (is this the case?) I don't think this would be enough.  I would be concerned whether the sound of the little ones squealing onto electric or otherwise might just be enough to send Mum charging over.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:27:55 pm »
Very much the same as Mrs S - put the tape up in a smaller, contained area for a couple of days, they should then be ok with just a couple of strands.  We use horse-tape too - much easier for them & us to see.
 :love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS