Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding  (Read 2855 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Feeding
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:55:47 pm »
Looking at the goat section and realising that I can feed some fruit to my goats as well as swead and carrots, can I feed these also to my sheep, maybe not the inlamb girls but what about the others? Like to give them something other than flaked maize and sheep crunch.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:12:08 pm »
Mine have never been keen in carrots and I worry about choke with carrots, but they do like a swede. In fact we are getting an old boy up in the spring to plough 1/4 acre next to the veg plot and he has a seed riddle so we are going to sow swedes for the sheep there.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »
Mine love turnip - I cut into quarters and throw it about and usually all gone in a day or so  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 06:50:45 pm »
Clearly something else to plant come the spring :sunshine: thank you
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:46:07 pm »
We gave ours some veg on Christmas Day - they had some carrot peelings, some swedes and some sprouts. They ate the lot!  :yum:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »
Mine love carrot sticks and apples.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:08:53 am »
A lot of sheep are wintered on turnips (you southern lot would call them swedes) up here.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 08:17:04 am »
Confusingly,  lot of sheep are wintered on turnips  - thats the small white things, not swedes down here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS