Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 9 Shetlands/Shetland crosses needing a home - currently in Northumberland  (Read 2358 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Lady looking for a home for 9 Shetland/Shetland crosses. The advert was posted on Ravelry - here it is, and here is the link to the Ravelry post, which enables someone to message the poster:

Please could you give these sheep a home?

Or you can message me here with your contact details and I'll pass them on.

"The flock is NOT FOR SALE BUT FREE to anyone who can offer them the home they deserve:0)

This situation is not of their doing but shepherd's position has changed drastically so she is no longer able to keep this ‘pet flock’.

All the flock have very fine fleeces, two are pedigree Shetland sheep, most are at least 2/3rds Shetland with a strand of Blue faced Leicester or Texel. The colours range from black through brown, grey to fawn.

Flock consists of

2 pedigree Shetland : Jackie small black, Juliet 1 grey Katmugot, both born 2003
3 Shetland crosses 6 yrs old, Jenny BF Leics x Shetland
Chrissie Texel x Shetland 6yrs * Ella BF Leics X Shetland 6yrs *

Both these ewes had twin lambs in 2011 sired by a Katmugot ram producing
2 ewes:- 1 black medium sized, 1 grey small
2 wethers:- 1 black medium sized, 1 grey large

All paperwork is in order, they were professionally hand sheared last year and all regular injections etc have been administered.

The flock have been kept for conservation grazing and their fleeces in the North Tyne valley / Belligham area, so someone in Northumberland or the borders might find this easiest.

We are looking to find a similar home for them where they can be together and be well looked after and cared for. So, if you are not interested but know someone who might be please let them know.

If you want more details or some pictures of the flock please PM me as the shepherd is not attached to her computer but will happily talk to you on a phone"

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:52:12 am by jaykay »

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Oh how sad  :'(
Too far from me for me to help I am afraid but fingers crossed for them :fc:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Would love to have them down here in Cornwall but it is a distance we could meet half way if that were an option.

Sad story though and lets hope those sheep fine a good home.
Pigs are human tooo

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
If a home has not been found for these girls I am sure we could fit them in as once the boys go we will be down to just 1 old cob , 1 gimmer and 1 feral ewe that has moved in off the fell and possible a couple of ewes we are considering buying on 22 acres
Graham

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Brill, if the lady doesn't say she's got it sorted I'll come back to you Sokel  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Uh...  knowing whereabouts you are, sokel - and two of the ewes are rather aged...  :thinking:  mind, I know someone else near you got lumbered with acquired some Shetlands about 10 years ago and they absolutely thrived!  Last one finally went in 2011, I think, after rearing a final pair of Texel x twins which sold for £63/head in the store...

sokel - do you spin?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS