Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbies to Veg Plots  (Read 1929 times)

Ann and Rob

• Joined Jan 2012
Newbies to Veg Plots
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:10:16 pm »
Can anybody recommend a book/website on when and what  veggies to plant month by month
Ann and Rob

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Newbies to Veg Plots
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:11:01 pm »
Allotment .org.uk is a good site with month by month guides..or just ask away on here :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:13:22 pm by Carl f k »

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:22:38 pm »
Whereabouts are you? A lot of books are fine for "the South", but not for Scotland or areas in the rest of the UK that are higher up...

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:30:55 pm »
lawrence d hills.

his 'organic vegetables' has everything you need, despite it being 40yrs old.  have fun. :tree:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:41:49 am »
 gardenate.com does a month by month guide to planting    can't do link but am certain someone has posted one before :sunshine:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:21 am »
Allotment month by month.
Alan Buckingham. Its a well illustrated hardback that cost me £5 new.

also:
Andi Clevely has a nice book called. The Allotment Seasonal Planner and cookbook.

As above -You may have a local climate that differs from what books or web sites use as their guide to what to do when. If you have some local veg gardners then chat them up or copy what they do. My neighbours still garden in their 80s so my guess is that they know what they are doing month by month.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:06 am »
I have an ancient Percy Thrower book which i sort of follow but i find here in North Yorkshire i'm a good month behind his suggested work schedules.
My other favourite is a Geoff Hamilton one but again i'm a good 2-3wks behind him.
Seed catalogues have come and i spent yesterday afternoon by the fire deciding what i want, what i can have is another matter entirely!
mandy :pig:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 11:58:19 am »
I use a Geoff Hamilton one and it does make suggestions about when seasons start and end in different parts of the country.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS