Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: well that's our first 2 pigs off to the abattoir  (Read 3687 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
well that's our first 2 pigs off to the abattoir
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:22 am »
 :(  :) not sure whether to be happy or sad!

Happy as it's one less species of animal to deal with for a few months

Sad because despite not getting emotionally attached/naming them etc, the look in their eyes this morning when we loaded them up brought a tear to my eye

ah well I suppose I'll feel better when the meat comes back  :-\
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: well that's our first 2 pigs off to the abattoir
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:35:15 am »
Not a nice thing to do but soon you will have the fruits of your hard work and take satisfaction from the good life the pigs had and the product you produced.
We say goodbye to our 2 on Tuesday. We will do a home kill that will save the pigs the upset of a trip to an abbatoir and the overnight stay with strangers.
Like you we do not get too attched or name them but it is not something that I am looking forward to. that said once they have hung and I start to butcher I can distance myself from the animal and get on with the technical task.
Let us know your thoughts on the pork please.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:54:38 am »
I didn't find it easy when my first two went either and cried! But when the pork came back I had such a huge sense of satisfaction that I had produced fantastic pork and that my two boys had a very good and happy life with me.
Enjoy your pork and give yourself a big pat on the back :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
...and yes let us know how the pork tastes ;D

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:01:14 pm »
When you pick up your pork, you are gonna feel sooooooooooooo proud of yourselves and what you've achieved - PROMISE  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:19 pm »
You'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel bad about taking an animal you've looked after and seen grow - it's the hardest part. And as everybody says once you taste the pork you'll know how worth it, it all was  ;) In the meantime, enjoy slightly less work and start planning your next couple for the spring  :innocent: :excited:
Karen x

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:01:53 am »
thanks everyone  :hug:

I am now thinking more about finding out about the dead weight, fat ratio etc  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:07:51 am »
You'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel bad about taking an animal you've looked after and seen grow - it's the hardest part. And as everybody says once you taste the pork you'll know how worth it, it all was  ;) In the meantime, enjoy slightly less work and start planning your next couple for the spring  :innocent: :excited:
Karen x
Ditto, sent a gilt  :'( :( i'd become particularly attached to this morning, have a very dull ache where my heart is and feel a bit empty on this one.  :gloomy: 
Mandy :pig:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:06 pm »
Congrats - you've done all the hard bits now (apart from loosing any weight gained after  one (or more) too many sausage!!!).  As others have said - big satisfaction in knowing that it is the best raised meat possible.  And I know that feeling of reducing your species count by one - bliss!!  We are getting ready to go up again!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:09:42 pm »
after hearing this morning that the deed had been done, I felt pretty low  :'(

so decided best course of action was to go out and grab a bacon roll & coffee  ;D

and as you say FiB, nice to have a couple of months before we start it all over again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS