Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Don't have a goat stand / crush?  (Read 5624 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Don't have a goat stand / crush?
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:11:58 pm »
We had a tour around a saw mill timber suppliers this morning just to see what products there were off the shelf for a number of projects we're doing.

Don't know if this has been covered before, but one of the products was called a 'lamb adoptor' - it is a fence/gate like construction but it has the moveable vertical guillotine type crush in the middle - for anyone who has not made a goat crush for pedicuring your goats feet / milking / administering medicines, it looked a really good option and was the right height.  It would have to be fixed at both ends to the ground (like a gate) and would mean the goat would stand on the ground not up on a stand. 

Sorry I didn't get a price and can't get it on their website, but there is a similar galvanised metal version on ebay for £72 - the timber ones looked a little more 'friendly' however and are probably cheaper. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Don't have a goat stand / crush?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:39:34 pm »
Brilliant thanks will take a look. Anything to save me trying to make it! If you manage to get details of other one let me know. I'm in Wiltshire which might not make it practical.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:43:34 pm »
Sounds interesting goosepimple. The traditional old fashioned design for milking benches had a neck hold a little what you describe. £72 isn't actually that bad when you see the price of some other things!

Beth

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 06:58:31 pm »
I made a milking stand with the neck hold thingy from a design on the web very easy to make from an old pallet and some screws. also in Wiltshire
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 07:30:25 pm »
Ooh, could you be persuaded to build another one?! I have plenty of pallets but not the DIY skill to do it. Great at the theory just not so hot at practise .

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:18 pm »
Yes, lots of people don't have the diy skills to make one which is why I found it interesting - most probably a large scale timber/fencing suppliers in your area (or a rural type one) may have similar.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:35:17 am »
Just priced the timber ones from our local merchant - they're £16.50 plus vat.  Cheap as chips and much less hassle than making one  ;D

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:33:35 pm »
Are they making it for you or is it off the shelf?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:36:51 pm »
No it's off the shelf, we have a crush already, but this would have been a hassle free alternative.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 06:01:19 pm »
scotsgirl is you would like one built let me know  and I will get on with it. regards

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »
I would be forever grateful. I reckon I have enough leftover building materials here including pallet. Nothing I build is ever stable enough for an animal to stand on!

Marsbar

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:48:12 pm »
do you have any pic's or an Ebay number so  can have a look ??

Cheers

Richard
Richard
from Sheffield now in Chesterfield

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 08:17:03 pm »
If you type in lamb adopter it should come up.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 08:28:14 pm »
here is a photo of the stand I made, it has a cover of stable padding that i was given on the base, our two Dandelion and Burdock find it good fun and are always trying to stand on it when they can get in to the area.

Scotsgirl pm me for collection dates
regards
Pat

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS