Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Changing/upgrading tags  (Read 3018 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Changing/upgrading tags
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:39:30 pm »
I'm sure this will have come up before, but I can't find it if so.

I have 5 hogs which I hand reared. 3 of them have the single slaughter tag and the other 2 have the double tags.  I'd like to be able to keep at least one of the single tagged ones to mature for mutton, along with the double tagged ones. 

1)  Has anyone got any idea on how I can upgrade the tag, either officially or unofficially?  It isn't electronic.  I am not the breeder, but am in touch with him still if that helps.

2)  If I don't upgrade the tag and don't send the hog for slaughter at a year old, what will happen?

3) Are they very fussy about the year thing or do you get some months leaway?

Thanks for any help!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Changing/upgrading tags
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:13:59 pm »
The first question is easy ,remove single tag record numbers in front of Holding Register under ( record of replacement identification )  put in new double tags your numbers , record in book .  Put slaughter lamb upgrade in the reason for replacement, easy .   2 Nothing until you try to sell, send for slaughter or it dies and you have to record .     3   The end of june seems to be the cut off.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:53 pm »
 :excited: Thank you! That sounds very straightforward.  All the information I could find suggested it was nigh on impossible if they didn't have electronic tags.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52:59 pm »
I thought you weren't allowed to upgrade a slaughter animal that hadn't been bred by you? :thinking: Doesn't the breeder have to send you replacement tags in order to upgrade? Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:25:48 pm »
"The tag fell out so I replaced it with EID ones"

Should work.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:06:28 am »
I'll give it a go.  I can't see it matters as long as traceability is maintained.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:45:23 am »
I think the authorities are much more interested in all the animals being tagged and if changes are made them being upgrades (eg non EID to EID), and recorded to maintain traceability, so I would go ahead. The only proviso is if you get SFP on your land, they could use it as a technicality to deduct a bit of that if they decided to nitpick.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 12:21:08 pm »
The wording is (  where kept beyond  12 months of age and full movement history in flock register. Remove slaughter tag and replace with double tags one electronic record in flock register ) 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS