Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dosing goats  (Read 1762 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Dosing goats
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:07:41 am »
Yesterday I wormed/fluked my female sheep. 20 animals, did a few sore feet too, no stress, no problems. (got the 9 boys to do today)

This morning I gave two goats, who were already in the byre, their doses. OMG what a fuss. I, and they, are now covered in wormer  ::) and we are all traumatised  :D  :goat:

On a separate note, it was triclabendazole and levamisole. Ellie is still milking, only me drinking it. Do you bother throwing it away for however long - or not?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Dosing goats
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:35:33 pm »

If the wormers etc don't give a withdrawal time I was advised by the vet to leave it 7 days.

I'm freezing extra in the hope of getting some bottle lambs so I'm labelling it with red pen for animal use only.  Don't really want to be dosed unnecessarily.  If I was desperate for milk I might not leave it that long.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:56:34 pm »
Don't know the answer Jaykay, just laughing at the thought of you and them  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 06:18:39 pm »
It would have been funny videod. Ellie just sprayed the first mouthful all over me  :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:57:47 pm »
I have found the best - if somewhat dangerous method for me - is to insert my (left) thumb in their mouth just behind their front teeth and then keep it there until they swallow. The GG's still manage too get it out often...

I normally take 7 days, unless it says that for cattle it's 0 days milk withdrawal (most pour-ons). But if we are desperate 5 days have been known and we are all worm-free. I do normally keep to the withdrawal with antibiotics though. and won't even feed it to the other livestock.

I jst did the sheep today again too for fluke.... still got the boy lambs to do tomorrow.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 08:44:35 pm »
Glad to hear you are all worm free, Anke.  What about the goats?

I'm also very relieved that I don't need to worm mine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS