Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone any land anywhere?  (Read 2595 times)

nattydread

• Joined Jan 2013
Anyone any land anywhere?
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:56 pm »
Sorry to post this, but before I can get on the topic of asking where all the affordable land is I must post this as I've gotta post it everywhere....

We are a group of four enthusiastic aspiring growers with varied experience of working in commercial and community organic veg operations. We are currently looking for a site to set up an ecologically and financially sustainable growing project producing organic food for sale to local people. What motivates us to do this is not just the desire to grow good quality chemical-free food that is affordable, but also to help educate and inspire people to reconnect with the land and each other. We have plenty of ideas of how to be diverse and make the most out of a growing space both in terms of growing food and community, what we are lacking at the moment is the space to be able to do it.

We are looking for roughly 3-6 acres of land. Ideally, we are looking for land that has some infrastructure in place, with a water supply being particularly crucial. Access to some cultivation machinery and storage/packing space would be a bonus, as would existing organic status. We are very flexible and open to ideas about the kind of business relationship we want to set up with a landlord, ranging from a Farm Business Tenancy  to a Land Partnership-type arrangement with more input from the landlord. We would also interested in building links with other growers and CSAs, for example by supplying into box schemes and seeking to develop the market garden as en educational space.

Please get in touch if you have some land you would be interested in renting out or if you know someone who might, or even if you have some advice for us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Anyone any land anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:45:00 pm »
Sounds a great idea.  Good luck with it.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:24 am »
where abouts are you based?
Ian

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:53:30 am »
I find its about knowing the right People and knowing who to ask, This is a good start but what about where local farmers are or farmers  markets are I'm not sure where you are but the feed shops may let you put up a card, land agents may help point you in the right direction.

Hope you get somewhere as you sound like you have some wonderful ideas...it's a case of not what you know but who you know.

My dad knew loads of farmers as he was a water board inspected....he's long gone but connections  :wave:

Lion Learners

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Soham
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:31:08 pm »
Follow our progress on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SouthAngleFarm

nattydread

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »
Thanks so much for your responses... nice one happygolucky lion learners and mad goat woman... its wonderful when you start asking how wonderful people can be.... indeed it seems to be it is a who you know game.

Ian I am currently based in Dorset but we are looking all over the south of England currently, which may be why we are finding it so difficult.

I will share how it goes for us in the hope that others try... don't give up!!! be patient and focussed. And work to reform the CAP which supports large landowners and agribusiness, and makes it quite difficult for four aspiring young growers to find a measley 4acres!!!

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:27:14 pm »
Sounds great and I wish you luck with your land hunt. We started a CSA in Cambridgeshire nearly three years ago when we found a barely habitable farmhouse with six acres up for auction. I don't know if you are aware of it, but there's a CSA meetup in Feb in Wales:
http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/events/wales-events/csa-uk-growing-the-movement-in-wales-and-the-uk?view=Events
I'm trying to get feeding/milking cover sorted so that I can go along...
If you'd like a chat about starting a CSA just let me know!
Ben

http://www.hempsalsfarm.com

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:56:16 pm »
Is Cheshire too far?

http://www.oakcroft.org.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS