Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice?  (Read 3503 times)

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Lice?
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:40:33 am »
One of my four girls has had quite ragged fleece around her neck for a good couple of months now - but I couldn't see any obvious issue. It looked like she'd been eating the hedge on the other side of the fence rather than rubbing or scratching. I've had a good look at the area and can't see anything much. Her skin seems ok, although it looks a little brown and slightly flaky in places. The shaggy area around her neck seems to be just the outer part of her fleece - there's nice tight black wool underneath.

I have now just looked out of the window and seen all four girls vigorously rubbing against the fence and each other, and lying down and rubbing their heads on the ground. I'm assuming therefore that perhaps they have lice? I have no idea where they would have got lice from - there's only them in the field and there are no sheep in the fields surrounding us as far as the eye can see - it's mainly dairy farms and arable land surrounding us.

So, my question is - can I apply some sort of lice treatment, even though their wool is really long (they are not quite yet a year old so haven't been shorn to date) - or do they need shearing first? Also, is it likely to be lice or should I get the vet to have a look? They are in perfect health otherwise (possibly a little on the chubby side in fact  :innocent:)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lice?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:35 pm »
YOU can treat for lice very easily just like treating a dog for fleas, 5ml coopers spot-on ,part the wool mid shoulders, apply to the skin and allow a couple of hours dry to be absorbed.   The scratching should reduce over the next week or two, if not then then maybe scab as well.   It is said that birds can carry lice from one sheep to another

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:02:09 pm »
Coopers Spot-on is ok, but I have found on long-haired goats it needs a few applications. Also quite expensive - I would ask the vet to see if they have an opened bottle. I think Eprinex works as well, but again quite expensive.

I am sure either Clik or Crovect will also kill lice if applied in a single strip along the back. As you may well need it next summer anyway it may be a better option to buy a bottle of that now. They are available in 0.8ltr size and mostly have two or three years use-by date. Ok to store as long as not frozen or very hot of course.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:14:15 pm »
Crovect for lice.  NOT Clik.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:23:11 pm »
I'm happy to buy Cooper's or Crovect to treat them - although Crovect treats lots of things so would probably be a better investment I'd imagine. On their site it says it needs to be applied with a gun but I am still concerned that they wouldn't get dosed enough because they are so woolly at the moment. Does it just work its way down into the fleece to the skin?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:35:18 pm »
If you give them a centre parting along the back and then apply it along there it will work best.  And during a dry spell, no point doing it in the rain.  Then I'd do it again once they've been shorn to get rid of any lingerers.  Do all your sheep at the same time, otherwise the critters will spread back around your sheep.
A gun is ideal - but you can get cheap ones.  Or you could probably get away with using a disposable syringe, as for this purpose it only needs to be applied in a line - so just dribble it along slowly to get an even spread.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:39:13 pm »
If you give them a centre parting along the back <snip> 

But then my poor darlings will have 'Dad Hair'!!!  :o  Poor lovies...

But seriously... thanks!  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 04:40:02 pm »
Yes a disposabe syringe works fine for that. Sometimes you get a free gun with a bottle, That's what I managed to get, but it is a few years ago. No harm asking though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS